Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Powering up/down Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:02 AM

Operating System:
desk top/windows 7 ultimate
Antivirus Software:
Kasperski
Firewall:
Kasperski
Computer:
Acer Veriton m661
CPU:
Core II quad q6600 2.40 GHz
Motherboard:
ATX, Not specified on MOBO,
Ram:
DDR2 SDRAM 4GB/ DIMM 240-pin
Storage:
Seagate 500 GB SATA
Video Card:
ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO pci express
Soundcard:
something generic/ integrated

I just replaced my power supply power supply last night. I restarted my computer several times to apply updates. There were no problems. I put my computer in 'Sleep Mode' and went to bed.

This morning, I'm having pretty much the same problem I was having before replacing the PSU.

Although the blue light on the power button was lit up, my computer wouldn't resume Windows. When I tried to turn it off pushing and holding the power button, the light would go off, but then as soon as I took my finger off of the button, the light would come back on. At that point, I would hear what I think is the hard drive beginning to spin and start up, but then it would stop. I tried to turn it off manually several times with the same results.

I ended up turning it off with the switch on the power supply button. I left it off for a few minutes then turned it back on. Same problems.

So, I turned off again with the switch on the PSU, unplugged the computer. I pushed and held down the 'Reset Hardware' button for ten seconds. I left it off for a few minutes, plugged it back in and turned it on. Instead of going through the whole start up process, it resumed Windows.

These are two things that happened before I replaced the PSU but haven't happened yet with the new PSU. The computer would just shut down out of the blue while I was using it. Eventually, it just wouldn't turn on at all. That's when I replaced the PSU.

So now, I'm thinking maybe one or a combination of 3 things: MOBO, hard drive, CMOS battery.

I'm not doing anything else to my computer before getting some input from you guys. Thanks.

Edited by Booh-kitty, 06 October 2011 - 11:20 AM.

Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right.
-Henry Ford

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:57 AM

Day two. I had the same problems turning on my computer this morning as I did yesterday. It finally came on again after using the reset hardware option. Today,I also had to reinstall the drivers for my wireless key board from the manufacturer.

Last night, I downloaded the sealtools for my seagate hard drive to check for problems. None were found.

Something I noticed this morning and realized this has been happening for some time. There are two lights on the front panel of my computer. One of them has 3 tiny squares: one on top and two underneath. This light flashes.

The other light is in the shape of the cylinder. Both lights are flashing.

The 'squares light' flashes once followed immediately by two quick flashes of the cylinder light.

Does this mean something?? I haven't been able to find any description of what these lights indicate in my computers documentation or online.
-Henry Ford

#3 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:35 PM

Not long after my last reply in this thread, I began hearing what sounded like power surges. It sounded like it was coming from various places in the case. I turned off my PC right away to prevent further damage, hoping that none of the internal hardware was affected.

I talked with a friend and we both agreed that the MOBO was probably the problem. We thought that because a little more than a year ago, the heat sink fan failed. I had to get a graphics card because the integrated one was destroyed by the heat.

I had little problems off and on until the issues in this post began happening, including having to re-install the OS twice.

I ended up buying a new MOBO. When I did, I upgraded to DDR3 RAM.

(Although I never had memory issues, I can't eliminate it as a contributing cause of the issues I was having. I am making note of the upgrade in case this post might prove helpful in the future to someone else.)

I installed everything last night. Loaded all the utilities and drivers. Installed the OS. Everything is working perfectly since last night. No weird issues. Hopefully it will stay that way.

The device manager reports that the CPU is working properly. It is the only thing that hasn't been upgraded or replaced.

I will reply in this thread again later on to report any further issues, or hopefully the lack of them.

Edited by Booh-kitty, 24 December 2011 - 05:42 PM.

-Henry Ford

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users