Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oem Software

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bob-E

bob-E

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 02:03 AM

What exactly do I get w/ OEM software?I'm looking at a great price on XP but says It's OEM and can't be transfered to another computer.What happens to the installation disc after I install?Does it go up in smoke in my drive like on mission impossible?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:33 AM

Yes, and be sure to have gas masks and a fire extinguisher nearby. :thumbsup:

When speaking of computer parts and software there are two categories, OEM and Retail. Lets say you purchase a retail hard drive. You will generally also receive a CD with some software and a hard drive cable included and it will be in a box. An OEM hard drive will just be shipped by itself with no accessories. Similarily a Retail version of, say, XP will have nice fancy packaging while an OEM version won't. The difference here is that an OEM reseller has a bulk licence to sell XP for a reduced price as long as it is accompanied with some hardware, generally that hardware being a computer. But resellers have found a way around this and you can get an OEM copy of XP as long as it ships with some kind of hardware so the resellers will include a low cost item like a hard drive cable in order for it to qualify as being shipped with hardware, and thus a lower price.

Have you got a link to the purchase you are contemplating?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:53 AM

Thanks for that info.I guess my big question is when I get a new computer will I be able to use that XP disc to install it on the new computer?

#4 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:54 AM

Oh yeah the awesome price was at newegg.com.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:12 PM

Yes you can install that on a new computer but generally new computers come with the OS installed unless you are building one yourself. If you are buying a computer with the OS preinstalled ask whether it comes with the CD.

If you uninstall your OEM copy of XP from one computer you can program it into another computer as far as I know.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users