Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop lost connection to router

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Aiyana

Aiyana

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:34 AM

So after my old Belkin router finally died on me....had some kind of power issue, I think it was just old and burnt out......I rummaged around and finally found a backup I had from a long time ago when I was having router connection issues and they sent me a new one for free.

I finally get it all setup yesterday......all security is up......WPA2, changed router interface password, turned off SSID.....yada yada etc.

Things are working great and BAM!!!!! all the sudden about sixteen hours later as I am doing my e-mails my laptop mysteriously loses connection to the router.

So I go downstairs figuring it's Comcast having problems and check the modem...nope modem is fine......try my desktop connection which is hooked up thru a cable directly to the router......nope desktop connection is fine.

With my last router I would ping the IP address I have assigned to my laptop which is 192.168.2.3...I did this because when I went to use my wireless printer sometimes my laptop and printer would have a conflict both battling for the same IP. Well, I could not ping my laptops IP from my desktop.....usually I can just restart the router and it will fix this issue.

Well it didn't......after freaking out for some time I just finally unplugged the router for a couple minutes, plugged it back in and the all the sudden my laptop was fine again.

But this doesn't make me feel any better as I still do not know the cause of the issue and am really hard pressed to be pacified by some random chance thing I did working because I will go thru the same aggravation when/if it happens again.

I did notice that I had turned off my AV firewall the other day when setting up the other router and turned Windows Firewall back on but when I had this issue I noticed they were both back on, so I disabled windows firewall this time, I know two firewalls can cause issues.

Was also wondering, is it possible that initially my modem had a reset...modem I am talking about, not the router....and when it came back on my desktop and laptop were competing for my laptops assigned IP?

Anyways...networking is so aggravating because it can be so many things.....I love the internet but sometimes I associate the term....the web......as me being Frodo stuck in a big nasty spider web in Shelobs cave and it being quite nightmarish.

You check so many forums and it's anywhere from 1-10 pages of replies all saying a different thing and the issue never actually being resolved.

Edited by Aiyana, 06 October 2011 - 06:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BarleyBo

BarleyBo

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:38 PM

Sometimes routers just need to have the power recycled when they drop the wireless signal. Don't freak out yet. Save that for when it happens everyday.

#3 Aiyana

Aiyana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:42 AM

Sometimes routers just need to have the power recycled when they drop the wireless signal. Don't freak out yet. Save that for when it happens everyday.

Yeah, it's been running just fine since. I know for a fact my Belkin routers can quite act strange sometimes, but all is well now.

I did notice that the subnet I had assigned for my laptop was different as the previous router was 255.255.254.0 and the new router was 255.255.255.0

I switched that so it matched, have no if that had anything to do with it, I also set my desktop to an assigned IP so I won't have to worry about my Laptop and Desktop competing for the same IP's coming from my routers pool, which might be what happened if I had a temporary modem reset...which happens with Comcast every once in a while.

Now I just have to remember to switch my desktop back to get IP automatically if I ever have to do direct modem connect maintenance....forgetting that will drive me nutz wondering why I can't connect through my modem directly LOL.

#4 Aiyana

Aiyana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:39 AM

WOW....revelation.....and this is just really wierd.

As I was progressing through my yahoo e-mails again.......sure enough just like two days ago my laptop lost connection to my router again...or should I say it somehow got disrupted because clear as day I remembered something.

I am subscribed to a lot of fashion websites and I clearly 100% without a doubt remember that as soon as I clicked on the link to visit the latest Ideeli website sale a couple days ago, is when my laptop connect got all messed up.

Did it mean anything two days ago when I initially made this post. Nope.

Did it mean everything when I clicked on the newest Ideeli sales link today...YEP.....because the same exact thing happened.

So what gives, is this website infected with an auto booting virus, it has to be something of the like, because it's not a coincidence.

Anyone have any knowledge of this, I am thinking the Ideeli website has been hacked.

Anyways, at least I know what happened and I can avoid it, still Ideeli was one of my more favorite places to go to....so a bit annoyed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users