Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

INTERNET OPTIONS missing in control panel

• Please log in to reply
391 replies to this topic

#1 car 54

car 54

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:47 AM

hello, i have a HP pavilion 05 5.1- 2600 build with windows xp professional service pack 3. system type x86
yesterday i restored it back to a july 17th restore point because it was getting slow and didn`t want to respond and was freezeing up, it seemed to work a lot better after the restore,then all at once i couldn`t get enternet explorer,then i tried the media player.i can`t get any program to load,now security anti-virus is gone.i tried to reformat but when i put the disk in it won`t load either,says there`s nothing on the disk.but there is

the strangest part about this is this computer system has c&d partitions on it, all this happened on d partition and i`am typing this and sending it on c partition.can any one help me get the d partition back ? BTW i tried OS disk in the c drive and it wouldn`t load there either.

mOLe tried to help me in the am i infected? forum but we didn`t fix it.he sujested i post here.
would someone like to try and help me get my computer to work any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:22 AM

Have you run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic?

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#3 car 54

car 54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:21 PM

if you have time and don`t mind you will have to read this to understand what has happened to this computer

safe mode can this

#4 car 54

car 54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:05 PM

MR. HAMLUIS
the reason i have not run any diagnostics is because i can`t down load anything

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:39 PM

A USB drive can also be called flashdrive, pendrive or USB device. One of these

This is a quote from your original problem. Do you still have the flash drive ?
In your original problem with m0le, this was advised as a method to transfer programs.
You can download almost any tool to one of these and transfer it from a clean computer to your problem computer.

This may be the only way to run any diagnostics that hamluis asks you to perform.

Thank You -

#6 car 54

car 54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:48 PM

yes , i bought a 4 gb usb and tried to boot with it, but nothing we tried would work. if you or someone else will instruct me. i will follow the instructions.
please be adviced that i know nothing about computers and i will appreiate any help or advice

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:55 AM

Hi -
Can you open My Computer and take a snapshot of the screen so we can see your drives.
To do this once you open My Computer, press Print Scrn (or similar key beside F12).
Now open Paint program from Accessories and press CTRL - V.
BleepingComputer tutorial http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-take-and-share-a-screen-shot-in-windows/
Click on File and Save as JPEG, name it My Drives and Save to Desktop. In your next post click Add Reply and there is an option to Click To Attach Files.
Click on this and click Desktop. The picture will be named My Drives so you can find it easy.

Regards -

#8 car 54

car 54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:46 AM

is this it?

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:49 AM

This is my shot of my drives. From this I can see that C: is hard drive A: is Floppy H: I: and J are CD drives Etc.
I can click on Preview post at the bottom here and see what I have posted. Don't worry as this can take practice.
Go to the top right of the screen here and where it says your name (car 54) the first downward arrow has your Profile and Settings.
Click on there and click to Delete that blank picture and try again.

Regards -

#10 car 54

car 54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:12 PM

i played around with this thing for 3 hours and tried to get a shot on the other computer, neither one would work, all at once both of them would work.

this is a shot of the one that is messed up.

thanks for helping

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:02 PM

Hi again -
Thanks for that, as it explains what you are talking about now.
Sorry about the time, but it has been slow to find details on your make and model.
Open that page shown and Right click on Drives C and D. Is there anything showing, like details of drive space, free space or any other details.
One of these drives may just be a recovery partition and not your operating system.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=62&ved=0CCMQFjABODw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.computing.net%2Fanswers%2Fwindows-xp%2Frecovery-d-drive-full-cant-see-files%2F192772.html&ei=_zKWTvy6CefwmAWMlMWBAg&usg=AFQjCNE63DqZ2Xq1bgWevrc0wl5GYvPRNQ
This link shows that on one similar HP the D drive is a Recovery partition, and not the hard drive shown in your screenshot.

Regards -

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:22 PM

I was reading from the previous thread and thus car 54 wants to wipe both OS and reinstall a new windows system?

Tekken

#13 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:58 PM

i tried to reformat but when i put the disk in it won`t load either, says there`s nothing on the disk.but there is

Hi jhayz -

Agree with that, but from the above statement, the CD will not boot to C drive as it should, unless the CD or the Drive are faulty.
That was the only reason for asking to see how the drives are set.
I also hoped hamluis may have some diagnostics that could be put on a flash drive and run from there, as they claim to have a clean computer also.

The CD should be available when it is inserted, and then reinstall, or at least show something, but it shows there is nothing there.
The CD drive could be set as Boot drive 1 in BIOS ? and try it that way, or I was hoping someone could direct them in that way.

The link I left only shows how someone chose Recovery, and this created Drive D, that did not exist earlier.

Your ideas please -
Regards -

#14 car 54

car 54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:27 PM

1.microsoft windows xp professional
2. microsoft windows recovery console
3.microsoft windows xp professional

1. is c
3. is d

when my sister gave me the computer.it had windows xp home edition installed on it,i didn`t know anything about fire walls or anti virus programs to protect the computer, so i got a lot of viruses and bugs on it so my daughter took it to work and thier computer guy put the xp professional on it and partitioned it.but i don`t know how he did it.

then i got some more virus infections and needed a windows xp professional set up disk to reinstall the os.so i bought another computer to get the set up disk that came with it.
i used it once to reinstall the os on d and the recovery console once in d

D drive was created september 9th,2008. used space is 9.25 GB free space is 42.9...82% free.....C drive was created june 10th 2009. used space is 4.23 GB. free space is 810 MB 15% free. it says both are healthy.

when i turn the computer on,if i don` t choose 1,2,or 3 in 2 seconds it will automaticaly go to 1 . befor it messed up if i choose 3 it would boot up d and if i choose 2 it would go to set up when i put the set up disk in.now when i click on anything in d,popup says there was a problem connecting to the program

#15 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:34 PM

.....C drive was created june 10th 2009. used space is 4.23 GB. free space is 810 MB 15% free. it says both are healthy.

Can you run defrag on that drive with only 15% free space. ? That is usually minimum.
Also is the (either) drives badly fragmented ? ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users