Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think I have malware affecting Firefox

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 khaoswolfkat

khaoswolfkat

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:05 AM

Hello there,

I'm pretty well convinced that I've got something akin to a hijacker or something..

Firefox has been routinely hanging up, not responding, the pg up/down buttons stop working properly, becoming back and forward browser buttons instead, and the FF open browser windows will places (ie: switch locations in the taskbar) seemingly randomly.
Restarting the computer usually solves the issues for a little while, but then it happens again; sometimes within minutes, sometimes after an hour or more.
Restarting the browser does nothing to help.

I've updated Firefox, as well as completely uninstalling and resinstalling it, cleared cache and cookies, and disabled all add ons. I have also run HJT (deleting suspicious items), Spybot S&D, Malwarebytes, IObit quick care tool, and done full scans with both Avast and Microsoft Security essentials. Of course, I made sure all programs were up to date before doing so.

Despite all of this, I am still having all the same troubles and nothing more nefarious than doubleclick has shown up in any scans!

I'm running Win7 Home Premium w/svc pk 1 (64 bit)

Please help,
~ Khaos

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:11 AM

Hi khaos,

Firefox has been routinely hanging up, not responding, the pg up/down buttons stop working properly, becoming back and forward browser buttons instead, and the FF open browser windows will places (ie: switch locations in the taskbar) seemingly randomly.

Does this happen only with Mozilla Firefox? Or do you experience the same in other web browsers?

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#3 khaoswolfkat

khaoswolfkat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:29 AM

Hi khaos,

Does this happen only with Mozilla Firefox? Or do you experience the same in other web browsers?

I haven't had it happen with other browsers, but that may be because I don't use the others for very long at a time, and pretty much only use them to test out things using Chrome, Safari, and IE to make sure my pages show up right on other browsers. I vastly prefer FF as my regular browser.

I can fire up Chrome and use it for a couple hours though and see.

Also, something I forgot to mention: When the page up/down buttons stop working, they ONLY stop working in FF, nowhere else, and they do not start working properly again on their own. Only after a system reboot.
Dunno how relevant it is, but doesn't hurt to be extra specific.

Thanks,
~ Khaos

#4 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:53 AM

I can fire up Chrome and use it for a couple hours though and see.

Yes, I'd like to see if this only happens using Firefox.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#5 khaoswolfkat

khaoswolfkat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

Well, so far, Chrome has behaved just fine (other than not having features I want), and FF has done the not responding and the window switching, but has yet to stop page up/down-ing correctly this time. The longest its gone since the onset of the issues. Of course it happens when I'm trying to replicate it for a purpose!

So far, it does seem like it is mainly Firefox that is affected, though I have had other programs stop responding at the same time FF is doing so. (nothing specific, just whatever I happen to have running at the time - Yahell, Notepad++, Zuma, calculator, etc)

#6 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:14 PM

Of course it happens when I'm trying to replicate it for a purpose!

It's like bringing your car to the mechanic. :lol:

Other than the "page up/page down" issue, it sounds to me like symptoms of multiple processes going on at once, hogging resources.

What's the make and model of the problem PC?

Have you had any hardware upgrades? If so, what are they?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

But back to the "page up/page down" issue, try uninstalling Firefox using Revo Uninstaller.

Try the following:

How To Use Revo Uninstaller

1) First we download it from here: Revo Uninstaller Free Version. You can skip this Step if you already have it installed. However, you may need to update it. If you have it installed already, and you need to update it go ahead and open it up and click the AutoUpdate Icon next to Help.

2) Select the Program to remove from the list of programs:

Posted Image

3) After selecting the program you want to remove, and confirming you want to uninstall the program, then you will want to select the Advanced Option:

Posted Image

4) Select the Advanced mode, and this will start the Uninstaller Window for the application you picked.

5) Follow the Prompts during the Uninstallation of the application. Once it closes you will be at this window:

Posted Image

6) Once the window is done scanning for files and other things that did not get removed is presented, you will be presented with this window:

Posted Image

You will only want to select the bolded items and click on delete. Once done click next.

If it asks you to delete other things and files then do so. But pay attention to the warnings.

#7 khaoswolfkat

khaoswolfkat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:15 AM

The computer is an Asus notebook U80V, U80V series, and it is fairly new.
I did have to replace the hard drive some months ago, but it wasn't an upgrade.
It's got 4 gig of RAM and decent processor speed, and none of this sort of thing (with things bogging down) was happening before the other Firefox weirdness began, which was quite a while after the HDD replacement.

And, like I said, other programs only stop responding when FF is too, but usually the other programs are fine. I have started routinely having other things open that I can switch to whilst waiting for FF to start working again.

Am I to correctly assume that I can then reinstall Firefox from the Mozilla page after I uninstall with Revo?

#8 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:40 AM

Am I to correctly assume that I can then reinstall Firefox from the Mozilla page after I uninstall with Revo?

Yes, you can go ahead and re-install Mozilla Firefox.

Let's see this:

Click Start.

In the search bar type msconfig and hit Enter.

Click Startup(tab).

Take a screenshot(s) showing all items listed and attach the image(s) in your next post.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also...

...and done full scans with both Avast and Microsoft Security essentials...

You don't have both of these currently running, do you?

Edited by TheShooter93, 07 October 2011 - 12:42 AM.

#9 khaoswolfkat

khaoswolfkat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:26 PM

Startup stuff screenshot:

Posted Image

You don't have both of these currently running, do you?

Not at the same time, though I have. Doesn't seem to make a difference at all, oddly enough. I guess some AV progs are more compatible than others.

#10 khaoswolfkat

khaoswolfkat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:24 PM

Ok.. I sued revo to completely uninstall every last shred of anything related to FF, then reinstalled, and the page up/down problem is STILL there!

#11 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:18 AM

Not at the same time, though I have.

I do not recommend that you have more than one anti virus product installed and running on your computer at a time. The reason for this is that if both products have their automatic (Real-Time) protection switched on, then those products which do not encrypt the virus strings within them can cause other anti virus products to cause "false alarms". It can also lead to a clash as both products fight for access to files which are opened again this is the resident/automatic protection. In general terms, the two programs may conflict and cause:
1) False Alarms: When the anti virus software tells you that your PC has a virus when it actually doesn't.
2) System Performance Problems: Your system may lock up due to both products attempting to access the same file at the same time.

and the page up/down problem is STILL there!

Try launching it in Safe Mode With Networking and see if the problem presents there.

How to Access Safe Mode With Networking

While the computer is turning on, tap F8 repeatedly until a black screen with white text appears. Using your arrow keys highlight the option Safe Mode With Networking and hit Enter.

Note: If you're using Windows XP, connect to your modem or router with an Ethernet cable, then follow these directions.

#12 khaoswolfkat

khaoswolfkat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:01 PM

Did not present in safe mode, but neither did any infections show up. I ran each of my programs in turn - full scans, and nothing.
The problem is still there and it's getting worse. Now the computer is shutting itself down randomly.

#13 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:37 PM

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread HERE and include a link to this thread.

Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient.

#14 khaoswolfkat

khaoswolfkat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:20 AM

OK. I have done all the preparation and posted the new topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic424283.html

Thank you very much. I hope the end to my trouble is in sight!

#15 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:19 AM

You're welcome. :)

Good luck. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users