Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random black screen crashing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jskill

Jskill

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:43 AM

Running vista 64bit on an asus laptop. graphics card is nvidia geforce 9800m gs. have drivers up to date.

if you need any other information, please be as explicit with instructions on how i get the information, i'm not especially good at this kind of thing and have no mind at all for jargon.

the problem im having is as follows: i was playing wow a few days ago when the screen cut to black, and after a few seconds cut back to normal. it happened a few more times over the next half hour until it just eventually cut to black and didnt recover.

i turned my laptop off and then back on, and it worked fine for a little longer, then black without recovery.

saw an error message briefly once or twice as occasionally it would return from cutting to black. " Display Driver nvlddmkm has stopped responding but has recovered. "

fiddled with display drivers, of course installing the most recent one but to no success. scanned for viruses out of habit, using malwarebytes, but nothing was found.

safe mode works fine, im in it right now. the black screen randomly happens when im doing anything outside of safe mode, but it happens automatically if i start wow.

please help, i love my laptop and cant stand to see it sick.

Edited by hamluis, 07 October 2011 - 08:47 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:37 AM

I would uninstall the video drivers, via Device Manager...then reboot...and then reinstall the video drivers from the laptop manufacturer's website.

Louis

#3 Jskill

Jskill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:03 PM

i'll try that right away and get back to you about the results

#4 Jskill

Jskill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:57 PM

it helped, worked good for a few minutes, but starting to get black flashes and screen tearing again

edit: yeah that definitely helped but it's not fixed. hasnt fully crashed yet, but got the temporary black screening and "display driver has stopped responding but has recovered" error message again. also tearing and random pixel freezing.

Edited by Jskill, 06 October 2011 - 07:26 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:47 AM

I'd have to consider the possibility that the video card/chip is failing.

Louis

#6 Jskill

Jskill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:39 AM

is there any way to definitively tell one way or the other? and if so, any chance i could get an estimate for having it fixed?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:21 AM

Well...I'm not a hardware (or anything else related to computer) person :)...but I'll give my two cents.

First of all, your options are limited because it's a laptop. If it were a desktop, I'd simply say to try a physical card, rather than the onboard chip. That advice doesn't apply at all to laptops, IMO.

Let's await some comments from the more knowledgeable members :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users