Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard disc is nearly full

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 johndepere

johndepere

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:50 PM

Hello all, I have a hard disc that is partitioned into two segments,the "C" (NTFS)partition which is nearly full with only one gb space left, the other partition the "D" (FAT)segment has system recovery files (pc angel) and has about three gb of space available. My question is can I safely reformat the "D" segment (FAT) and add the available space to the "C" partition? I know that I will lose the ability to use the restore files but am willing to take the chance that I will not be needing them. I have all important data backed up and am just trying to limp this computer along for a couple more months until I replace it. If this sounds like a sane option would any one be willing to walk me through the steps? If this does not sound like a good option please let me known. Thanks in advance for any input. John. Computer is an older Emachines running XP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:35 PM

Hi -

You do not mention how much RAM is on the system.

Are there any files and programs that you can place on CD or other media (DVD) -
This may include music , photos , programs that have not been run for a while Etc.
This is usually the easiest way to free space -

Your other option sems to be, to purchase another an External drive and move any items that you wish to save to there.

Regards -

#3 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:39 AM

Sure. Just delete the 2nd partition and then expand the C drive to incorporate the unused space. Use Free EaseUS Partition Master 9.1 Home Edition

#4 johndepere

johndepere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:39 AM

Thanks for your response, I have all the programs off this computer that I can. the system has 512 mb ram. My concern was is it at all possible to mess up this hard drive by deleting and resizing partitions? or is this a common thing to do? Thanks again for your help.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:48 AM

1) Manipulating partitions is not UNcommon, but it is not without a modicum of risk. Be sure to backup all critical data before performing any drive level activity such as repartitioning.

2) Have you tried the common methods of increasing available space such as decreasing space allotted to System Restore (or completely disabling system restore), lowering space allotted to Temporary Internet Files, deleting temp files, etc? Disabling system restore alone should free up a great deal of space if it is currently enabled. Needless to say you will lose all restore points, but you can always use another (and better) method of backup such as disc imaging software.

3) Needless to say, replacing the hd with a larger one is almost certainly your best option. Good, large drives are not all that expensive.

#6 johndepere

johndepere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:40 AM

Thank You very much for this tip on turning off system restore, this alone added 4.5 gb of space. I am a regular user of CCleaner so I feel on top of keeping temp internet files deleted. I think this added space will be enough to keep this computer going for a couple of more months until I replace it with a new one as a Christmas gift. Thank you again, although I am a computer novice I have been able to fix and get answers to many of the computer problems that I have via this site and its contributors. Thanks again. John

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:06 AM

Please just keep in mind that you now have no ability to restore the system using the system restore tool. You can re-enable it and limit the space it uses or you can use another method of backup. Either way, just be aware that your restore points are now gone and not recoverable, but a new restore point will be created should you re-enable system restore.

#8 johndepere

johndepere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:50 PM

Got it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users