Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB 2.0 ext drive backup to XP w USB 1.1-OK?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dumolcoot

dumolcoot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:09 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 (Jan '02) Pentium 4, 1.8 GHz, 512MB PC800 RDRAM, 80 GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive, Windows XP Home Ed.
(Service Pack 3 was never installed. Less than half of the capacity is used. It works some of the time and I have decided to
upgrade to an iMac. I hoped to transfer the files to an external drive and purchased a Seagate 500 GB FreeAgent GoFlex also hoping to use it as a backup on the iMac. (It claims to be able to "Share movies, photos and music between both PC and Mac Computers without reformatting."}

I noted that the Seagate drive has USB 2.0 connections and my PC has USB 1.1. My question is: Is this a problem or can I expect to be able to transfer my files to the Seagate drive? If yes, are there any cautions of which I need to be aware?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:08 PM

No problem: USB 2.0 is backward compatible with 1.1

It will do the job just fine, but transfer rate with USB 1.1 is a lot slower than with 2.0.

No special precautions needed. Be aware that you should use the little icon that will appear in your System Tray to shut down/stop/eject before switching off and unplugging the external hard drive.

btw: I can relate to your username. Me too!
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 dumolcoot

dumolcoot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:40 PM

Thanks, I'll go ahead (tomorrow) and try it and I'll report back.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:53 PM

No worries!
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 dumolcoot

dumolcoot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:10 AM

Although very slow (as expected) it worked fine despite horrific warnings from my XP. I can now replace my computer, secure that I have all my files. (Yet to be proven: That it will transfer OK to a new iMac - but that's another problem; at least it will transfer at USB 3.0!)

Thanks for you help, AustrAlien! (I was to Australia 15 years ago; loved it.)

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:32 PM

Pleased to see all went well with backing up your files to the external hard drive.

Enjoy your new iMac!
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users