Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Aldy

Aldy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

Hi,

I'm having a weird issue and I'm hoping some people here can help.

System Hardware/Software related to my issue:
mobo: ASUS P5NSLI
Video: BFG Nvidia 9800 GT OC - (OC meaning factory overclocked)
AntiVirus: AVG Free 2011

Recently I have been having some hard system crashes/lockups. They were occurring during some regular gaming forcing me to restart my system. I decided to run Windows Memory Diagnostic and found a bad ram stick. I removed the bad ram and reran the diagnostic with no errors. I thought I had fixed the issue. I ran the game again and had the crash/lockup issue again.

The next time I restarted my system I had weird pixels and dollar signs in the startup screen. Once I got to windows my resolution was reduced and in device manager it gave me the 'Error Code 43' in the card properties. I tried updating the software/driver and even pulled out the card and cleaned the connectors on the card and the mobo. After restarting the error continued.

I searched online and found others were having the same issue. The culprit was either a bad Video Card or a Worm. I was about to order another Video card but my latest restart had no visual artifacts in startup and device manager is not reporting any errors. My understanding is that if the card was bad, it would be an issue that would not 'fix itself' I'm suspicious of the mobo but have no idea how to even test it.

Is it possible that when the video card accesses different chips on itself it's fine until it accesses a bad chip which causes the error? If that's the case then why would the system access different chips on startup resulting in errors only at times when a bad chip is used.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you require more information to help me I will provide what I can.

~Aldy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aldy

Aldy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:21 PM

Through various tests and diagnostics I have discovered the problem to be associated with the video card. The higher ram that isn't accessed until it is loaded with data was causing the crashes. The card is partially stable. I guess personal exploration through various forums was the best bet here, though input would have been appreciated.

~Aldy

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:53 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Sorry to see that your topic went unanswered by anyone in this forum. Chances are anyone who read it did not know what to suggest.

Video chips are one of the most stress tested pieces of hardware next to the CPU that are part of any video related piece of hardware.

There is a lot going on just to create one frame of video on any video screen, therefore a lot can go wrong with the procedure.

Faulty components, fluctuating power supply current flow, poorly designed filtering circuits, poorly designed integrated circuit chips all play a roll in video related failures.

I am glad to see that you solved the problem just the same.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 MrClose

MrClose

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:18 PM

Through various tests and diagnostics I have discovered the problem to be associated with the video card. The higher ram that isn't accessed until it is loaded with data was causing the crashes. The card is partially stable. I guess personal exploration through various forums was the best bet here, though input would have been appreciated.

~Aldy

Hi Aldy

I am having exactly the same issues as you have and with the same card. (9800GT)

I found that the RAM on these particular cards have issues and that is more than likely what is happening to you.

Check out this site and you will probably see some examples of the 'artifacts' that you have observed on your own screen.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html

MC

Edited by MrClose, 18 October 2011 - 02:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users