Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

So I have a rootkit....

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bitmouse

bitmouse

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:18 PM

Avast has showing a trojan - dns changer loading with every windows program I would open. Copied the file name of the object that avast sent to it's virus chest, and a google search led me to these forums.

After doing some research I have decided that I am going to format and reinstall windows 7.

My two questions are:

This is a 2 HD machine. The HD1 had the OS. Planning on wiping HD1.
Should I clean the HD2 of all .exe's or completely wipe the HD2.
My concern is there are alot of personal files I would like to keep. Are all my videos, pictures, mp3's etc fine?
My guess is that it is all fine to leave, or that I should wipe all the exe's

Second questions is, how do I avoid getting rootkits in the future? This rootkit I got by trying to watch Borat on the internet for free....
I crush you....
So, assuming I forget not to do that in the future, a friend uses my comptuer, etc, how do I protect against rootkit infection effectively?

Thank you for your time. zee mosue

Oh, btw, I am currently downloading a linux livecd to see how clamav is going to handle the problem. My sense is it won't do the trick. Anybody know what to expect?

Edited by bitmouse, 05 October 2011 - 04:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bitmouse

bitmouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:01 AM

:clapping:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users