My computer was infected last week with a Data Recovery virus. My Panda software identified it as a TrjCI.A virus and disinfected the computer. I have run multiple Norton Power Erase and Panda Scans (PQ remove, Activescan, GP10 Total Scans and a PScan). All results state that the computer is free of any virus, malicious software etc. There was, however a lot of residual damage:
1) I was able to unhide all my folders and find all my documents and program through the folders view options and your unhide.exe. I can now see all folders.
2) I lost all the shortcuts pinned to the start menus but have manually added them back.
3) Almost all of the files in the All Programs of the start menu are now empty. I used multiple searches for the temp\smtmp folder(or any other folder/file) to find the program folder so I could cut and paste them back to the start menu programs.I cannot find the folder where the viurs made a copy. Do you have any suggestions on how to find the programs folder linked to the start menu??
4) My Outlook Express account is gone. I have all the original files but when I open Express, my account is gone and I am being asked to start one. Can I get back to my original account?
5) All my destop icons are gone. I have been adding them back manually
6) My favorites in Mozilla and IE are no longer linked to the programs and are not in the favorites on the toolbar. I found the files and added a shortcu to the desktop but would like to have them back where they belong in the favorites on the toolbar.
That's all I found for now. I have been battling this for a week and have searched this forum, Microsoft and numerous software security sites and am now stuck. I would appreciate any help.