Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want To Install Old Game On New Computer And

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dudster13

dudster13

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:23 PM

my old games wont install on my brothers computer but it worked fine on my buddys everytime i go to install i get a mesage that says windows\system32\autoexec.nt. the system file is not suitable for running dos or windows aplications then if i ignore nothing happens i can get to the start screen in compatability mode but then id doesnt recognise the disk is in the drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:21 AM

Win XP does have a DOS compatibility mode, but it isn't al that it's cracked up to be. Your best bet would probably be dula-booting hte machine with XP for most stuff and Win 98 for your older games.
Posted Image

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:46 AM

Hello dudster13 and welcome to BC.

That error message is a result of corrupt or missing startup files in XP. You can download 16bit_fix.exe to correct this error and install your games.

This problem is generally caused by spyware so I suggest you follow the instructions in Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log and post a log for our team to review.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:48 AM

1. Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\repair, and then click OK.
2. Right-click autoexec.nt, and then click Copy.
3. Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\system32, and then click OK.
4. Right-click anywhere in that folder, and then click Paste.
5. Right-click the Autoexect.nt file that you just copied, and then click Properties.
6. Click to select Read-Only, and then click OK.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...7&Product=winxp

Edited by raw, 31 January 2006 - 09:49 AM.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users