Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Restore Virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Quota24

Quota24

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:57 AM

Hello, my friend downloaded an e-mail attachment (named Calculations) on this computer that contained the "Data Restore" virus/malware. I've done my best to get rid of the nasty bugger, but I want to make sure that his system is clean. He currently runs Windows XP SP3. I've run MBAM, Microsoft Security Essentials, Kaspersky Anti-Virus and even used the ESET online scan and I'm getting the all clean signal from any scans I run. I've gotten rid of any traces of viruses that I can find, but I still see the desktop shortcut as well as the start program shortcut to Data Restore. The shortcut and start program no longer have the data restore icon (it's just the blank white program icon), so it appears it's gone, but before I manually delete them I want to make sure the system is clean.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:38 PM

Hello there are a couple more steps to do.

Please follow our Removal Guide here Remove Data Restore (Uninstall Guide) .
After reading how the malware is misleading you ...
You will move to the Automated Removal Instructions

After you completed that, post your scan log here,let me know how things are.
The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 tjm43088

tjm43088

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:38 PM

Hello, I followed the bleepingcomputer.com guide to removing the data restore virus. After I did my last scan with Microsoft security essentials I began to receive a messaging saying there was an error with 00000135. So I go back it gives me an option to run a repair.. I run it, it says it cannot repair my problem.. I cannot restore, since the program seems to have removed my restore points so I cannot boot up windows, however all other system checks seem to be fine. Repair says the problem event error is "StartupRepairOffline" it mentions problem signatures being 6.1.7600.16385 and Autofailover and corrupt registry and the last signature. Here is where it gets weird. I went and bought a new hard drive, reinstalled windows 7 and then im getting an error message that says"Windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computers hardware" I am hoping that my hard drive was not deleted or something, last time I was on the computer all the files were intact, then i restarted for windows security essentials to take effect and then these blue screens start to arise... I put my old hard drive in an external casing, hooked it up to a laptop and the laptop recognizes to install the drivers and such, and the name of the unit, but the drive never becomes available on my computer . help pleaseeee!! thank you so muchhh if you can share any info with me =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users