Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Adapter Disconnect

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 setasdefault

setasdefault

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:52 PM

This is the network I designed for my house. The two comuters upstairs connect to a switch, which connects to an 802.11g AP. Downstairs, my Dad's computer connects to the internet through a gateway/router thing and connects to the network with a USB Linksys adpater. The two computers upstairs connect to the internet through the gateway on my Dad's computer, which is the ICS Host. Unfortunately, my Dad's computer makes a lousy host b/c the WUSB54G Linksys adapter randomly diconnects. The two computers upstairs loose internet, and this usually happens when I'm playing an online game. I don't think it could be a bandwidth problem b/c my comuter gets internet through the wireless router, not the USB wireless adapter right? Anyhow, if you have Linksys stuff then you know that the little green square in the tray goes grey. It says NO ASSOCIATION WITH ACCESS POINT. I decided that the AP was not at fault b/c when I restart my Dad's computer, his adapter works again. His stats are WinXP, 512mb ram (upgrade), USB 2.0 (upgrade), and the router is some kind of Westell that we got cheap when we ordered DSL. Thnks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:03 AM

Bare with me, while I try to weed thru this.

This is the network I designed for my house. The two comuters upstairs connect to a switch, which connects to an 802.11g AP. Downstairs, my Dad's computer connects to the internet through a gateway/router thing and connects to the network with a USB Linksys adpater.

This I get.

The two computers upstairs connect to the internet through the gateway on my Dad's computer, which is the ICS Host. Unfortunately, my Dad's computer makes a lousy host b/c the WUSB54G Linksys adapter randomly diconnects.

This I don't get. Why are you routing thru your father's computer rather than straight to the Westell router?

The two computers upstairs loose internet, and this usually happens when I'm playing an online game. I don't think it could be a bandwidth problem b/c my comuter gets internet through the wireless router, not the USB wireless adapter right?

From what you stated in the first quote you are routered thru your father's computer via the access point (ICS) not thru the Westell router, which you should be.

Anyhow, if you have Linksys stuff then you know that the little green square in the tray goes grey. It says NO ASSOCIATION WITH ACCESS POINT. I decided that the AP was not at fault b/c when I restart my Dad's computer, his adapter works again. His stats are WinXP, 512mb ram (upgrade), USB 2.0 (upgrade), and the router is some kind of Westell that we got cheap when we ordered DSL. Thnks for your help.

Is the Westell a wireless router or wired router? If it is a wireless router you will need to configure your access point thru you Westell and not your father's computer. If it is wired only, your only two choices will be to add an access point at the Westell wired router so that it can receive directly from the two upstairs computers, or replace the Westall with a wireless router. If your Westell router is also your modem the problem with the second option is you will have to get your ADSL ISP to talk you thru disabling the router feature.
I hope I have not misunderstood your POST.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 setasdefault

setasdefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:21 PM

Sorry for not being clear, but sometimes I don't understand networking because I taught myself. Um, the Westell Gateway is a modem and a (wireless) router and a switch. In the instructions that came with it it said that it had to be connected to a computer via rj45 cable. I don't think it's stand alone. However, the trouble is the wireless adapter on my Dad's computer. It frequently disconnects, causing me to loose internet. I didn't understand this at first because I thought I was getting internet through the wireless router/modem/switch thing just like you also thought. When I disconnected the problem adapter, the network configurer said that the ICS Host must have an adapter to communicate with the network. I'm not sure if I'm being clear. I think the upstairs computers get Internet through the wireless router, but when the adapter disconnects we loose internet because the ICS Host cannot communicate with the network and our computers assume that there is no ICS Host, so no internet.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:06 PM

I understand you perfectly. What you describe as a Westell router sounds, infact, to be a switch or wireless Access Point. All the computers should be running thru the router. I have never seen a router that had the LAN piped thru a PC before it gets to a router, except for special purpose items like proxy servers, DNS servers,.... If the Westell is a wireless router and not a wireless Access Point, it should be your gateway. Try disconnecting your father's computer, so your upstairs computers do not scene it and run your Network Setup Wizard again. Choose Connect to the Internet or LAN thru a Gateway. This will scene and setup your computer thru the router and not your father's computer.
You are sure the information with the Westell device described it as a router and not an Access Point, correct?

#5 setasdefault

setasdefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 07:57 PM

I think that because the Westell Gateway is also a modem, it must directly connect to my dad's computer with RJ45.

#6 setasdefault

setasdefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:01 PM

I'm sure you know more about these things than I do, but I'm pretty sure it's not an AP. Here is the specs from Westell's website.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:21 PM

Yep. That is what I thought you had. All of your computers need to be setup to pull the Gateway address from the modem/router, not your fathers computer. Unless your father is running some kind of server your other two computers need to route thru you should have all comupter connected thru the Gateway router. Like the diagram in page 2. By the way your father will have far fewer problem if he switched to a PCI card, but that is personal.
Run ICS on all the computers and select the option I described in the earlier post. Everything should pull the Gateway from the router not another computer. You should see an increase in preformance too.

#8 setasdefault

setasdefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:45 PM

Um, disconnecting from my Dad's computer makes everyone loose internet. I'm not sure if I'm being clear, but we have 3 peices of hardware on the network. 1) A Switch 2) A Wireless G Acess Point 3) A Westell Gateway. The Gateway is our router and our modem. My Dad's computer connects to the Gateway becuase how can you use a modem over a wireless connection. It has to connect to one of the computers, and the only one we could install it on was my Dad's for some reason. When we disconnect the modem which is the Westell Gateway no one can get internet. Do you mean to say the the Westell Gateway is an access point also?

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:00 PM

Um, disconnecting from my Dad's computer makes everyone loose internet. I'm not sure if I'm being clear, but we have 3 peices of hardware on the network. 1) A Switch 2) A Wireless G Acess Point 3) A Westell Gateway. The Gateway is our router and our modem. My Dad's computer connects to the Gateway becuase how can you use a modem over a wireless connection. It has to connect to one of the computers, and the only one we could install it on was my Dad's for some reason. When we disconnect the modem which is the Westell Gateway no one can get internet. Do you mean to say the the Westell Gateway is an access point also?

A picture is worth a thousand words. The diagram in page two of the Westell manual clearly show ALL computers and devices going thru it. You do not even need the Access Point if you have the Westell Modem/router you linked to in your posts.

This is a quote from the first paragraph of page one of the manual...

VersaLink, Westell’s wireless DSL gateway, has been designed to
address the flexible broadband networking demands of the multi-user
environment. VersaLink combines Westell's industry-leading ADSL2+
modem technology with a high-performance wireless and flexible
router function. It provides wired networking using Ethernet and
optional USB, and the convenience of 802.11g wireless.

Edited by acklan, 25 January 2006 - 09:01 PM.

#10 setasdefault

setasdefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for your time, I know you must be frustrated. I know that everything you say makes sense, and I would agree with you except that the only way the upstairs computers can get internet is through my Dad's computer. Trust me, I have tried multiple times to disable my Dad's adapter and connect through the gateway, but there is no connection. For some reason, I have to run through my Dad's computer downstairs. Also, how can the Gateway be an access point if there is no software with it to set up a ssid or wep key or anything. The CD only installs modem drivers. Sorry, I really can't understand it.

#11 setasdefault

setasdefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:22 PM

I know this sound dumb, but perhaps in the picture the two laptops are simply routing through it and not using it as an access point also? Wow, I'm really confused.

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:22 PM

I have offered a reasonable solution. The way you have it configured works but it may not be the best solution for you. May be someone else can explain it.

Good luck.

Edited by acklan, 25 January 2006 - 10:36 PM.

#13 setasdefault

setasdefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:40 PM

Well thanks for all your help. As it turns out, you were right all along. I took the adapter off my Dad's computer and took the new one he bought today and put them on the two upstairs computers. The Gateway is an access point, and we couldn't use it because it cannot route the internet through another accesss point (the one upstairs). Now we can all directly connect without a host computer. Thanks for your time.

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:52 PM

I just re-read my POST and would like to apologize if I came off as short. That was not my intention. I am happy you were able to resolve the problem. It feels good to work hard on something and in the end have it work, yes?

Please feel free to start another topic if you need. The members and myself will be happy to help you anytime.

Good luck.

#15 setasdefault

setasdefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:07 PM

Wow, I finally figured it out. The Westell is a AP after all, and the reason it was not working for the upstairs computers was that it could not route to another AP. Now we all connect to the Westell without a Host computer. Thanks for all your help. We all appreciate it here at my house.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users