Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SBS 2003 Administrator password does not work

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheHat

TheHat

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:21 AM

Hi Everybody

I have a client who's running a SBS 2003 server form home. Everything was fine until they started getting problems with the exchange email not working and not being able to access shared folders. They could then not login in, password incorrect. I have tried logging in with the Administrator password but it keeps saying it's incorrect, although it's never been changed.

I have tried various software to reset or blank the password but still cannot gain access, either in normal or safemode. The only access was via a user account in Directory Service Restore Mode, but this gives very little access to anything. I have read about an option using the original disc's and repairing the install. Will it work for 2003?

I presume the programs I have used trinity rescue, windows password reset & windows password unlocker are just resetting the local admin account, even though it doesn't show in the list of option in these programs.

Any ideas on what I can try?

Thanks in advance

Gary

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:54 PM

Hello, do you know if you have Interactive logon:Number of previous logons to cache enabled? if you do disable it and try again. If that does not work then I would create another administrator account logon to the computer and remove it from the domain. Then use the administrator account that you are having a problem with and see if that will let you logon.

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:09 PM

Are all of the hosted parts of SBS on the same drive? If so there has probably been some corruption of both the exchange database and AD. This can happen due to excessive read/writes to the exchange database causing drive write/read errors in other parts of the drive. That is one of the reasons Microsoft highly suggests keeping the exchange database on its own physical drive. If there is a back up in place then I would start there if possible.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users