Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Restore Virus on my Work Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jeremy James

Jeremy James

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:39 AM

Hey guys,

On my work computer (Windows 7,) I got the problem of what has been called the "Data Restore Virus." Specifically, I got very authentic looking windows that said my hard drive clusters were bad - and then all of my icons/favorites disappeared. (Consequently, for some reason, this exact same virus came to my home computer last night, and there was no correlation. Both computer were on Sprintusers.com and on Facebook when it happened.)

Anyway, on my work computer this morning, I came in, downloaded/ran RKILL, TDSSKiller, and then MalwareBytes as well. I can stop everything while my computer is up, and thought about running Unhide, but, restarted my computer to see if all was well, and the same problem popped up. (Critical error with Hard drive.)

What do I do next?

Thanks.

Jeremy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:38 AM

This problem has been fixed.

For those suffering from this issue, I'd recommend trying ESET Online Scanner.

As always, please seek the help of a competent professional.

Jeremy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users