Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Freeze after 10-15 mins of play

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Godfree

Godfree

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:58 AM

Hey guys,

New guy here, other forums were no help! lol..I have an intermittent problem with my games every once in a while (once or twice a week) where after 15 minutes of play or so, the graphics will completely freeze. The sound still continues and so does the play, because I can hear everything everyone else is doing, but my graphics are frozen solid. In WoW i can rotate the camera but it'll snap back into place and I can't move or anything like that. If I close the game and restart, it will resume for another 15 minutes or so, and freeze again. Usually restarting the machine solves the problem. I have the latest video card and audio drivers (Radeon HD 4850) so I'm not sure what else it could be. Any ideas? Be glad to give any other information you need!
NZXT Apollo, AMD Phenom II x4 3.0 ghz, 4 GB RAM, 500GB HDD, ATI Radeon HD 4850, XP Service Pack 3
(full details in profile)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:09 PM

Have you tried running any temperature monitoring software such as speedfan to make sure its not overheating? and what kind of PSU are you running with that card?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Godfree

Godfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:44 AM

Hmm I haven't bothered running speedfan simply because this doesn't happen very frequently at all so I assumed it was some glitch. I'm using a Raidmax Aurora 600W because they suggested a 550w for this card (newegg). I can definitely run speedfan tomorrow and see what kind of temps its spitting out while in game, next time it freezes ill have to remember to get a comparison.
NZXT Apollo, AMD Phenom II x4 3.0 ghz, 4 GB RAM, 500GB HDD, ATI Radeon HD 4850, XP Service Pack 3

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:49 PM

It may be something else, but I tend to always start by eliminating the most obvious possibility, and work my way down. My next step would be to uninstall the video and chipset drivers and reinstall the latest versions of both.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:45 AM

Do those suggested thing first but if they don't work out, i believe the power supply maybe causing it because this power supply is known to cause many problems and it is one of those low quality made power supply.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:35 AM

^ In addition to the above comment, it is important to note the Amp. rating on the +12v rail of your PSU against the 4850's requirement.

Given that you're experiencing the problem with different games, it could only be the hardware or drivers to blame.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:05 PM

Insufficient amps can also lead to these problems. The power supply has dual 12V rail with a total 38 Amps and the graphics card requires 32 Amps.

Edited by killerx525, 07 October 2011 - 10:11 PM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 Godfree

Godfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 04:02 AM

Alright sorry for the delay, my cousins hard drive crashed so I had to deal with that as my problem wasn't severe.

Well I don't think it's a heat issue, it was running Legions: Overdrive and it was still crashing at 62 degrees. It crashed every time I tried to play it but I have a strange suspicion it may have something do with zone alarm though because it keeps cashing the whole computer when I'm playing the game and I just installed it today.

Now I don't know much about power supplies and how they work, I just thought that raidmax was a good company, was I wrong? Could the dual 12v 20/18 amp rails be causing this problem? It's a fairly recent thing and I've had this setup since 2009. It has a 4egg review still on newegg with 128 reviews.

Should I uninstall my drivers and reinstall the newest versions before we tackle the power supply? And which drivers exactly should I uninstall? My motherboard and graphics card?

Edited by Godfree, 09 October 2011 - 04:55 AM.

#9 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:12 AM

And which drivers exactly should I uninstall? My motherboard and graphics card?

Graphics Card

I just thought that raidmax was a good company, was I wrong? Could the dual 12v 20/18 amp rails be causing this problem?

A good company or not is the first step in choosing a PSU, the second is to consider the specs. and see if they meet your system requirements.

Assuming the card is being powered by one of the two + 12v rails, the supply is sufficient as long as the card isn't running on high/full load, in which case it would obviously come close to its stated power requirement.

Another possibility is your graphics card overheating on occasion. If you're confident enough, you can attempt to remove the HSF, clean out the GPU fan, clean and reapply the TIM, and fit the HSF back on the card.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#10 Godfree

Godfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 04:04 PM

Alright I'll go and download the latest drivers and catalyst suite. I just noticed that everything is listed twice in my suite so something is probably screwy with my version anyways.

I did a lot of research on single vs multi rail PSU's last night and according to a few people over at johhnyguru who specialize in PSU's it actually doesn't matter. Most multi rail's are actually single rails that've just been split to the amperage isn't capped as a lot of people think they are (at least not on newer ones). Also the amps stated that are required on graphics cards would apply to the total system amperage, not the ones supplied on a single rail. Since my PSU delivers 38, and the card says it requires 32 (they apparently almost never draw anywhere near to that much, seeing as my games aren't demanding) I would THINK my PSU would be good. Any thoughts? I've actually undusted and cleaned everything recently when this started happening so everything should be good. The card only got to 65 degrees last night playing Legions, I'll check wow and see how high that goes and report in.

Alright while on wow, in a city, it was hovering between 59 and 60 degrees, definitely not hot enough to cause problems. Also I uninstalled 11.8 and installed the 11.9 drivers and catalyst control center will no longer open, seems its not that uncommon of a problem? Updated from 8.881 to 8.892 drivers as well, have to see if anything crops up

Edited by Godfree, 09 October 2011 - 05:04 PM.

#11 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:15 PM

by any chance do you have a screen saver set to kick on at that time?
I've heard of peoples screen savers trying to kick on while something was in full screen mode and it would cause wonky problems.

Also, you might want to turn off windows themes, the sounds and all that stuff.

As others have suggested, it could be the PSU, though it is my understanding that the most likely scenario with an underpowered PSU is that the computer restarts or gives the blue screen of death when the Graphics card pulls more amps than the PSU is comfortable with. Of course that's just my understanding of the under powered PSU being taxed by graphics cards, I'm sure many other wacky things could occur and not just a restart.

Perhaps there are some tools to stress test your graphics card. I know such a thing exists for RAM and CPU. So maybe such a thing exists for graphics cards to. If no one on the forum happens to know of any trusty programs of that sort, than you can always google for something like that. A good stress test would run your card(s) at 100% for a long enough time to heat it to its hottest, so this would check for over heating and low amps on the PSU.

Even though you said you checked your cards temp, there's a good chance that it's not accurate. I've heard many times that temperature monitoring on CPU's very because of sensor placement and so on, so I imagine the same does for GPU's.

Here's an idea that might help eliminate the PSU from the list of possibilities: go to a site such as youtube and watch a lot of videos on that setting higher than HD, I think it's called 1040p (or maybe it's 1080, I don't know, just which ever is above the 720 HD). If you can watch a few hours of videos on that resolution with no problem than I am doubting it's the PSU, after all, I don't see WoW forcing a GPU to run harder than a 1040p youtube video.

But what this really sounds like to me is a software configuration problem and not hardware.

You should load up the directx diagnostic tool and check to see if anything reports an error, and do all the audio and video tests that come with the tool. don't worry you don't have to download the tool, it's already on your system. Here's a web page explaining it http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938991.aspx

If you're running windows XP than the directx diagnostic tool will allow you to turn off audio acceleration. You'd be surprised how many times what appears to be a video problem is actually an audio problem, and taking off audio acceleration often helps with this problem. Though in vista and 7 you can't turn down the audio acceleration.

You mentioned zonealarm being a possible culprit. Well that is certainly a good possibility. I'd advise that you make a list of all the programs that run on startup, and cancel all non essential programs, especially programs that block or monitor activities such as security suites (anti virus, spyware, spam blocker, firewall). But I'd also shut down things you know you don't need to run a game, things like MSN, AIM, acrobat, itunes, Skype, Media player etc.

To shut down unneeded programs in windows7, go to your search box and type msconfig
in Windows XP, I think you have to pull up a command prompt to type msconfig.
If your running winxp, than just google "msconfig winxp" for instructions. And once in msconfig, go to Startup, and uncheck things you don't need, and restart your computer. though I advise against doing this with security software like antiviruses, this can sometimes cause problems and the antivirus will flip out and tell you it needs to be re-installed or something. So disable firewalls and antiviruses from within the program itself.

And don't worry, all the startup programs you uncheck can be returned as startup programs by running msconfig and rechecking them.

And of course make sure that your motherboard has latest drivers, audio card has latest drivers, graphics cards have latest drivers, and you've gone to microsoft and downloaded all the possible updates they offer you, and make sure you have the latest Directx.

If all the above fails to fix this problem, I would suggest rolling back to an earlier version of DirectX, and if that doesn't work, as absurd as it sounds, roll back to older, and even much older drivers for your video card.

As a last resort, I'd progressively roll back to earlier and earlier drivers for everything in a last ditch effort.

If that sounds like days on end of having a migraine screaming "why darn it, why?" than a quicker solution would be to install a different version of windows.

If you happen to have another version of windows, or know someone who could let you borrow a copy long enough to test this out, than install the different windows, do not put anti viruses or anything like that on the computer, and load up a video game and see if the crash persists.
Of course that huge attempt at a solution would require another version of windows and either a spare hard drive to install it on, or you understanding how to play with partitions to install it on a second partition and not lose data. If you aren't familiar with partitioning your drive, I'd stay away from this solution because you will most likely screw up and delete everything and not have a working computer. But if you do know how to partition without deleting the existing partition, than setting up an alternative OS might be worth looking into if all else fails.
Disclaimer: partitioning and changing operation systems may void your computer's warranty, check with your vender first.
Borrowing a copy of another OS may not be legal, check user agreement on that copy of OS.

#12 Godfree

Godfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:55 PM

Yeah I've heard the same about PSU's being the cause, it'll either BSoD or just shut down, not be stuck in a continual video freeze. Besides the audio is still playing fine, I can hear people using their abilities, if it was the PSU everything would stop I would think.

The card that I bought is the HIS Ice-Q, it was designed to run extremely cool, though I'm not sure if THAT cool is common, It never goes above 65 degrees when running my games, then again my games aren't super taxing on the card so it's possible.

The DXDIAG tool I actually ran last night and all of the 3D tests and audio tests cleared fine for me. Zone Alarm was definitely my recent culprit for crashes, no matter what I played it completely stalled the PC (freezing with audio looping) so I got rid of that, know of any decent free firewalls? Comodo is what I used to use but the new version doesn't play nice with Avast! and I love my Avast AV.

I downloaded chipset drivers for my MOBO, i'll try installing those later tonight when I go to bed and test it out over the next two days, right now everything's running fine so I'm getting my game on! :D (as I said its random and intermittent :\)

#13 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:48 PM

OK, cool, hope everything continues to work for you. About the anti virus/firewall, I'll PM you with suggestions so we don't side track this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users