Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Won't Start Up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ~ JJ ~

~ JJ ~

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:15 PM

My sister has a laptop and it won't start up. Her computer is a Toshiba Satellite running Vista home basic.

I have done numerous system repairs - nothing.
I have tried to do a system restore from disk - nothing.

A blue screen does pop up for a split second and has a lot of writing on it, but I can never see what it says as it does not stay there long.

All I have been able to get off anything is this: System volume on disk is corrupt.

Luckily I did back up her pictures and most other things a few weeks before it broke, anything else on there shouldn't be important.

I forgot to add that she is absolutely useless with computers (at least I have the basic understanding of them) but she is hundred times worse.

Before I got hold of her computer she was running it with NO security or anything on it like anti virus or anything. Last time I saw her she said it had been running really slow, even when nothing was open it would take ages to open the browser. I was going to run checks on it and install anti virus but then it broke and I can't even get it on now.
So it could have broke as god knows what viruses it has on it right now!

Hence why I'm here.

I can't even get it to run in safe mode, it did it once but now I can't get it to do it again.

Is there any steps that can be done without replacing the hard drive?

Thank you.

Edited by ~ JJ ~, 04 October 2011 - 08:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:15 AM

Hi JJ,

What happens when you try to boot into Safe Mode? That BSOD you were referring to?

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:32 AM

I would remove the hard drive...attach it as a secondary drive to a known, protected, working system...take a look in Disk Managment (Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter).

Post the details reflected for the drive in question.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users