Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell touchpad gone

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 inanna1130

inanna1130

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:13 PM

Dell Inspiron 1545
Windows Vista Basic 32 bit

I've been having problems with the touchpad on my Dell Inspiron off and on for about a month now. Occasionally on startup it just doesn't work- the left and right "mouse" buttons do (please forgive my complete lack of knowledge when it comes to the proper terminology, I really don't know much about computer bits in general) but the touchpad itself doesn't register any movement. In the past I've tried updating drivers (though Windows tells me they are all up to date) and it never seemed to work anyway. The only thing that ever got my touchpad back up and running was restarting the whole system.

So, this problem cropped up again last night and I restarted the computer, twice, to no luck. I tried again this morning and still nothing. I went to the device manager in the control panel with the intention of, well I don't know what really, but it was NOT my intention to delete the touchpad from my devices, which I DID do accidentally. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it back- and I need it because it's really spoiling the convenience of a laptop when I need to plug in my USB mouse all the time.

I went to Dell and tried downloading the drivers again, hoping it would make the device reappear. I was going to do a system restore, but the earliest point I seem to be able to go back to is AFTER deleting the touchpad. I have a backup OS disc and a backup Dell drivers & utilities disk that came with the computer if worst comes to worst, but I desperately want to avoid having to wipe the computer and begin again just to get this touchpad back.

Sorry for the long explanation, I wanted to be thorough. If anyone knows a solution, I'm pretty desperate- I would be completely grateful.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:16 AM

I went to Dell and tried downloading the drivers again, hoping it would make the device reappear.

What were the results of this?

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#3 inanna1130

inanna1130
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:40 PM

Nothing. That I could find anyway- installed them, restarted, and still no touchpad.

However, a few hours ago when I came home and got on the computer again, the touchpad was magically back. Okay, well, it seemed like magic to me, as I had already gone through drivers and restarts and whatever else I could think of.

So for the moment, it seems my problem is solved. I am now really nervous for this happening again though. Obviously there's something screwy for this to keep happening. I've run every scan I have (Malware bytes, spybot, defrag, Norton antivirus, super anti-spyware) and there doesn't seem to be anything harmful lurking in my system.

#4 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:21 AM

Well if you're not experiencing any other symptoms of infection, I'm thinking this was a simple driver issue.

If the problem presents itself again, feel free to post a new thread or continue here depending on how much time has elapsed (threads automatically close down after a certain amount of time).

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#5 inanna1130

inanna1130
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

Oh good, well that's certainly a relief. Thanks for your advice. Here's hoping the drivers are all okay now.

#6 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:05 AM

You're welcome. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users