Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dirk Pro

Dirk Pro

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:58 PM

I've noticed that my my computer is trying to access my floppy drive whenever I go to windows explorer/my computer/itunes/ and other times when it is just random. Any ideas to stop this? I can live with it but it's just annoying.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:50 PM

It sounds like the computer is just verifying what if anything is in the floppy drive in case you select it from computer.
if you have a CD in the ROM when you open computer in explorer it will access the CD-ROM.
Just disable it in the bios and you won't have to hear it when the computer boots up either.

#3 Dirk Pro

Dirk Pro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:11 PM

Oh ok, I don't have anything in the floppy drive though. This is a floppy drive I took from my other machine and installed it into this new one. I don't remember it having this issue over there.

#4 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:34 PM

OK just hooked up a usb floppy and opened computer, the computer did not access the floppy so my first post is incorrect.
Even if the floppy was working fine in your old computer it could have just started to malfunction on your new one.
If it is possible can you hook the floppy back up to the old computer and see if the problem continues.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:41 PM

I've noticed that my my computer is trying to access my floppy drive whenever I go to windows explorer/my computer/itunes/ and other times when it is just random. Any ideas to stop this? I can live with it but it's just annoying.

Thanks

Is there a floppy disc in the drive?

Also, has this always happened or did it just start? If the latter, what is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

Edited by Allan, 05 October 2011 - 03:42 PM.

#6 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:45 PM

Oh ok, I don't have anything in the floppy drive though. This is a floppy drive I took from my other machine and installed it into this new one. I don't remember it having this issue over there.

Did you see this one Allen?

Sorry, Allan
I apologize for the misspelling.

#7 Dirk Pro

Dirk Pro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:14 PM

If it is possible can you hook the floppy back up to the old computer and see if the problem continues.

Unfortunately, the floppy came from an old machine whose motherboard died, had to extract it out <_< .

Also, has this always happened or did it just start? If the latter, what is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

I don't remember this happening in my old XP machine. After building a new one on Windows 7, it occurred pretty much right after installation. I've had this build for at least 5 months.

I am more curious as to why this is happening, I can live with it. Like you said Louis, it could have gone bad.

Thank you both for your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users