Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are the current 'best options' for anti-virus/firewall?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:06 PM

McAfee come pre-installed on this box and I added MWB (paid) (as well as MWB premium services for the occasional 'checkup'). I'm looking to drop McAfee (handling anti-virus/firewall/email) and am looking for 'current best options'.

I've used Avira (didn't care for it). I've used AVG (loved it until a version upgrade caused a lot of problems and I had to dump it). Way back when I used Norton (hated it).

Also used Spybot, Spyware Blaster, . . .

Are there a few top choices today, or are there a lot of good choices? There's so much out that it's hard to decide anything.

I simply want to have the best possible package of tools running. I surf a lot, so safety it important. Paid versions are fine; it's an investment.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:11 PM

I use both Avast Intenet Security and Eset Nod32 A/V (on different computers) and they're both kickass. Avast has a free version which is very good as well.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:33 PM

Please take a look at our very own quietman7's topic: Answers to common security questions: Prevention & Choosing an Anti-virus or Firewall

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:42 PM

I've looked that over pretty good, and noted that it was posted recently. I'm leaning toward adding Avast; it's been recommended to me by a number of people that should have informed opinions.

Edited by D_Blackwell, 04 October 2011 - 04:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users