Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vista will only start in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Andrea0130

Andrea0130

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:32 PM

Hi,

My computer windows vista will only start in safe mode. The computer starts to boot up and then the bsod followed by reboot in safe mode options. I used the blue screen viewer which showed cmdide.sys worker_invalid and ataport/sys kmode_exception_not_handled. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!!! :)

Andrea

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:27 AM

Hi Andrea,

What's the make and model of the problem PC?

Also, do you have the STOP code on that BSOD?

If not, do the following:

• Click Start.
  • Right-click "My Computer."
  • Click Properties.
  • In the pane on the left, click "Advanced system settings."
  • Under the "Startup and Recovery" section, click Settings.
  • Remove the checkmark next to "Automatically Restart."
  • Click OK.

Edited by TheShooter93, 06 October 2011 - 12:29 AM.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#3 Andrea0130

Andrea0130
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:19 AM

Hi, it is a HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC. Is this the stop code that you needed? I attached a copy of both files. Thanks,

Andrea

*** STOP: 0x000000e4 (0x0000000000000001, 0xfffffa60021f5c80, 0x0000000000000000,
0x0000000000000000)

*** cmdide.sys - Address 0xfffffa60021f5c80 base at 0xfffffa60007d8000 DateStamp
0x4844a1a5

*** STOP: 0x0000001e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff800028e8962, 0x0000000000000001,
0x0000000000000018)

*** ataport.SYS - Address 0xfffffa6000b5f8d7 base at 0xfffffa6000b57000 DateStamp
0x4844a1a5

Attached Files

#4 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:27 PM

Do you have the Windows Vista OS Disk that (may have) came with the computer?

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#5 Andrea0130

Andrea0130
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:20 PM

No, we did not get one with the computer. Our computer does have a d:\recovery, if that helps. Also my husband made 3backup files disk soon after we purchased the computer. When i tried to see what was on them it shows SHOTTS-PC, autorun.inf autorun.wbcat, MediaID.bin, and restore.ico.

Andrea

Edited by Andrea0130, 06 October 2011 - 02:34 PM.

#6 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:52 PM

Try booting into Safe Mode and performing a System Restore.

Pick a restore point before you experienced the BSODs, and restore your computer back to that point.

How To Perform a System Restore in Windows Vista

#7 Andrea0130

Andrea0130
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:23 PM

Hi, I did a restore for the most recent point. It was sucessful, but I still have the same issue. I attempted a restore for the 2nd most recent point but received the error Parameter in correct (0x80070057). I tried the other restore points with the same results.

Andrea

#8 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:40 PM

Boot into Safe Mode With Command Prompt.

Click Start.

In the search bar type cmd and hit Enter.
(For Windows XP users, click run then type this in)

In Command Prompt, type chkdsk /f and hit Enter.

At the prompt, type y and hit Enter.

Reboot the machine.

#9 Andrea0130

Andrea0130
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:25 PM

Okay, I did the above. After entering chkdsk it said type of file system is ntfs can not lock current drive chkdsk can not run because volume is in use by another process - schedule when restarts - typed y and then restarted the computer. Received bsod and then restarted in safe mode - I never saw anything to indicate that the chkdsk was actually run.

Andrea

#10 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:03 AM

I never saw anything to indicate that the chkdsk was actually run.

It likely wasn't if you received a BSOD and then had to boot into Safe Mode.

Click Start.

In the search bar type sfc /scannow and hit Enter.

When the process is complete, reboot the machine.

#11 Andrea0130

Andrea0130
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:07 PM

Ran chkdsk and then restarted - same bsod

Thanks,
Andrea

#12 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:47 PM

Did you try the sfc /scannow?

#13 Andrea0130

Andrea0130
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 04:27 AM

Sorry, yes I tried the sfc /scannow it ran - I rebooted - and bsod appeared. Thanks,

Andrea

#14 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:50 PM

It looks like you're going to have to use that Recovery Partition to restore your computer to factory conditions.

Press F11 as the computer is starting up and the on-screen instructions should guide you through the rest of the process.

:exclame: Note: Doing this will erase all files and programs. Your computer will be restored to factory conditions. :exclame:

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 09 October 2011 - 04:25 PM

Please do the following if you wish to continue trouble-shooting the problem ....

:step1: Please try Step 1: Perform a clean boot as instructed in the following link:
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Let us know if you can then successfully load Windows normally. If you can load Windows normally, then continue with the steps provided in the link until you have determined exactly which item is causing the BSOD on normal startup.

:step2: Please download BlueScreenView (in zip file)
Extract the contents of bluescreenview.zip and then double-click on the BlueScreenView.exe file, and click on Run, to run the program. (No installation is required.)
When scanning is done, go ...
  • Edit > Select All
  • File > Save Selected Items, and save the report to your Desktop as BSOD.txt.
Close the BlueScreenView window.
Open BSOD.txt using Notepad and go ...
  • Edit > Select All
  • Edit > Copy, and then paste the entire contents of the text file into your next reply.

:step3: Please zip up the 3 most recent minidumps and attach to your reply.
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump <<< folder
  • Click on the most recent minidump file.
  • Hold down the <Ctrl> key, and click on the 3 next-most recent minidump files to also select them.
  • Release the <Ctrl> key.
  • Now, right-click on one of the selected files > Send to ... > Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    The zip file will be located in the same place (the Minidump folder).
  • Attach the zip file to your next reply.
    When you click on Add Reply, you will see the facility to attach a file just below the box where you type your message.

Edited by AustrAlien, 09 October 2011 - 04:32 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users