Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Error Checkers

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 greystoke

greystoke

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:20 PM

Is their such a thing as a registry checker to find and fix registry errors in Win. 7?
The sfc.exe program is missing from my pc.

Edited by Budapest, 04 October 2011 - 07:38 PM.
Moved from Tips and Tricks ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

Playing with registry is a dangerous and not recommended game.
Besides, if you have some file missing it has nothing to do with registry.
How do you know sfc.exe is missing?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

Just a thought,I'm sure some must know but in windows7 you have to run sfc from a command prompt with administrators permission,Tony.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:21 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, sfc.exe is NOT missing from your system.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,526 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:19 PM

Directions for use of System File Checker How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 bl33p!n eddacker

bl33p!n eddacker

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:07 AM

I _believe_ I read an article from MS by Mark Russinovich detailing his testing of registry editors and they were found to do little or no good. Performance gains were minimal. He did say that if it made you feel better and you approached their use with caution then go ahead.
This doesn't really address which product to choose, sorry, but choosing a paid for one that does real time monitoring of the registry might be the way to go. All in All if your windows 7 machine is in need of a clean-up the old fashioned way works best. Save your data and purchased programs then do a clean install. Perform all updates and when re-installing third party items make sure you are using the most current versions.

:thumbsup:

#7 bl33p!n eddacker

bl33p!n eddacker

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:11 AM

WOW! I've been a member for 3 years and I have 4 posts
:whistle:
somebody should wake me from my slumber

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:55 AM

SFC is very simple to use in Windows 7 - Your CD / DVD is not required, like in XP.

To use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file.
To do this, follow these steps:

1.Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

2.Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow
The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Is their such a thing as a registry checker to find and fix registry errors in Win. 7?

Simple answer = No -

Edited by noknojon, 06 October 2011 - 04:58 AM.

#9 greystoke

greystoke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:27 AM

It does not work. After following instructions, I wait and then get a message that the Microsoft program will not open.
I never wanted a registry cleaner. What I asked about was a program that would find any erros in the registry and repair them.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:09 AM

greystoke - your problem is not "registry errors". There are no third party apps you should use for the registry.

You have two threads going on this issue - I suggest you stay with your original thread.

#11 bl33p!n eddacker

bl33p!n eddacker

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:59 AM

Sorry, greystoke, I speak for myself, but windows registry 'repair' and 'cleaners' are synonymous. Take this quote from well respected CNET: "Registry Repair is a refreshingly simple tool for cleaning up your Windows Registry."
back in the day we used Norton utilities, but that was when Norton owned it and the registry was a bit simpler.
today registry changes are mostly tweaking, and then only when you already know the problem.
does scanreg still work in vista/7?
cheers

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:32 PM

Take this quote from well respected CNET: "Registry Repair is a refreshingly simple tool for cleaning up your Windows Registry."

CNET is simply wrong.
I wonder if they'll pick up a bill when you mess up your computer.

Registry cleaners/optimizers are not recommended for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".
Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#13 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:02 PM

Bottom line, regestry cleaners, or fixers are strongly discouraged here at Bleeping Computer. Some can seriously mess up your system if you don't know what you are doing. The suggestions above are good, but it seems you're interested in a tool which actually does it. Wise Registry Cleaner is something I use ( http://download.cnet.com/Wise-Registry-Cleaner-Free/3000-18512_4-10605508.html ) << note: if you do use this, or ANY reg cleaner you are using it at your own risk.
Nosce te ipsum.

#14 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

Registry cleaners are like any other tool, very dangerous in the wrong hands. Their are probably some learned people on this site that have the knowledge but most on this site IMO are like me and don't have the knowledge. These learned people would never use the Auto Repair because you will never know what the program has done. I can only think of one good thing for these types of programs. They give you the chance to learn how to wipe a hard drive, format and clean install.

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:35 PM

Registry cleaners are like any other tool, very dangerous in the wrong hands.

They are dangerous in ANY hands and should be avoided. Period.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users