Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Really Infected - Can't run any AV apps

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OhioITgal

OhioITgal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:50 AM

New to posting, so forgive me on message board etiquette.

A user brought me her laptop (running Windows XP SP3) and said it was running slow and unable to connect to wifi or LAN. Upon boot -- "Generic Host Process for Win32 services" error message. Sometimes it forces Windows to reboot. Once I got past the error message, I was able to open IE8, but was redirected from Google. I rebooted in safe mode and installed Malwarebytes. It installs, updates and starts scanning but then closes itself and comese up with "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." Since I'm logged in as the admin on the machine, I shouldn't be getting a permissions error.

Then the user's documents and start menu programs disappeared. So, obviously it's a virus. I just am stuck on how to remove it. Seeing as how I can't even get an AV program to run, I can't post the scan log. I was able to run a system restore back two months (totally surprised since some of the most recent viruses have shut that ability down). That didn't solve the problem either.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:33 PM

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team.
Please make sure that you read the information about getting started first.
Then start a new thread HERE and include or required logs.
Including a link to this thread will be helpful.

Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users