Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sytem Takes Forever To Boot Up And Moves Very Slowly

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 4geddabout8

4geddabout8

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:22 PM

Hi and thanks in advance for any help you can lend.
I am a computer neophyte so please understand if I do not use the correct terminology.
I have a Dell Dimension XPS D300 with Windows 98.
When I boot up it takes forever. When I click on an application it takes forever. When I surf the net, it takes forever. I guess you get the idea.
I thought maybe an infection so I posted on HJT and it doesn't seem to be the problem. If you can direct me to a possible solution, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:13 PM

Start out by running Disk Cleanup to clean out your temp files. How much RAM are you running and what programs are you running? Antivirus, antispyware, firewall,...?

Start>Program Files>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup.
and
Start>Program Files>Accessories>System Tools>Defrag
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 02:47 AM

You may have too many programs launching on boot and silently running in the background. You can review these by using the Spybot tool (change the Mode to "Advanced: to get to the tool section) called "system startup."
You can make a list and then compare it to the "startup programs" database (look for it at the top of the BC page). Having media players or IM applications or Office startup on boot will make launching them faster when you need them, but each of these uses some resources while they wait for your click.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:35 AM

How much Ram do you have? Right click My Computer on the Desktop and click Properties. The General tab shows your available Ram.

As our jgweed says, a good place to start is with your Startups. You can manage these by going to Start>Run and typing in msconfig and looking under the Startup tab. Any item with a checkmark runs when you boot. Unchecking them prevents that.

Having looked at your Startups detailed in your Hijack Log I see many to disable however I think your biggest problem is the fact that you are using McAfee. This is a very bloated program and requires too many resources for an older computer. I'm confident that if you switch to a program like AVG Free Edition Antivirus you will see a marked improvement in performance. You don't have to uninstall McAfee to compare these. If you want to try this first download AVG Free. Then go to msconfig and disable the following:

VsecomrEXE
VSchedule
Vshwin32EXE

Run the AVG installer you downloaded and reboot when prompted. As you go through the installation process, pick the custom install and uncheck the email scanner if you only use web based email rather than an email client like Outlook or Eudora etc. You will see an immediate difference in boot time and performance.

Also disable the following Startups via msconfig to see what further improvement you can realize:

[POINTER] C:\MOUSE\point32.exe
[SHPC32] shpc32.exe
[LoadQM] loadqm.exe
[MoneyStartUp10.0] "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Activation.exe
[FLMOFFICE4DMOUSE] C:\Program Files\Browser MOUSE\mouse32a.exe (You are running two mouse drivers and this will confuse your machine. Neither is really needed unless you use the extra features of the mouse. At the very least pick the one you want to use and disable the other).
[LWBKEYBOARD] C:\Program Files\MultiMedia Keyboard\MultiMedia Keyboard\1.1\KbdAp32A.exe (Unless you use the extra features on the keyboard disable this).
[MMHID] rundll32 mmhid.dll,StartMmHid (Disable this only if you disable the entry above).
[RecoverFromReboot] C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\RECOVE~1.EXE (Definitely disable this. If you have run Ccleaner as asked by Mat2 then it isn't there anymore).
[EarthLink Installer] " /C
[CriticalUpdate] c:\windows\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup (This is not needed. Windows Critical Updates are issued once a month for ME if it all. Just periodically check this manually. Open IE and go to Tools>Windows Updates).
[winmodem] WINMODEM.101\wmexe.exe (You seem to be using a Broadband connection so this program for your dialup modem is unneccessary).
[SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe Unless you use Task Scheduler for Defrags or Scandisk this is not needed).
[MsnMsgr] "c:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background (Not needed, you can start MSN Messenger as required).
[E6TaskPanel] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\EARTHLINK TOTALACCESS\TASKPANL.EXE" -winstart (Not needed unless you like to use it).
Zip Disk Icons.lnk = C:\Tools_95\IMGICON.EXE
Picture Package VCD Maker.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sony Corporation\Picture Package\Picture Package Applications\Residence.exe
O4 - Startup: Picture Package Menu.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sony Corporation\Picture Package\Picture Package Menu\SonyTray.exe
Those last two are likely to do with a Sony Digital Camera? If so they are not needed.

Edited by Leurgy, 25 January 2006 - 11:37 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:45 AM

Also check your Hard Disk space, besides disabling items from startup, you might also want to uninstall programs that you dont need and run a disk cleanup as suggested. Run scandisk and analyze the fragmentation levels and defragment as it can help improve boot, file access time and program response.
See if anything in this link helps
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm

#6 jbravo

jbravo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:00 AM

also try these tips for speeding up your pc

#7 All-Gator

All-Gator

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:12 PM

First, I apologize for kinda' hijacking this thread.

Leurgy, you discussed omitting the e-mail monitor in AVG when installing. I have already installed and use AVG, but have the problem that it will not let me use Outlook Express (OE). If I turn it off the AVG e-mail monitor, then I have no problems with OE. Everytime I boot up I have to turn it off before I use OE: Damned inconvenient. If I stop it in the Startup menu, then it doesn't load the whole thing (which is not what I want to do). BTW, I can use both Yahoo mail and the mailbox in my ISP with no problems.

My question is: How can I get rid of the e-mail monitor without uninstalling and reinstalling??

Thanks
A-G

#8 All-Gator

All-Gator

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:24 PM

Well, I found an answer to the problem: It requires a manual installation of the mail scanner.

www.j79zlr.com/howto.php?id=11

Thanks

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:27 PM

Hello All-Gator

Thanks for the link. I don't install the email scanner as I don't like it and it is very slow when downloading mail in my situation. Setting it up as discussed in your link would probably help that. Having said that, if you are careful about your email it is actually reduntant. My ISP scans all my email also. The email scanner scans email as it enters your computer whereas the resident AVG will react to the attempt to activate a virus so they are really two different things. I also get a large amount of email and it is checked very frequently (using OE) and the lag and the balloon became annoying. I guess its a personal preference. In my opinion you don't need it if you only use web based mail, but if it doesn't interfere it may as well be installed.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#10 All-Gator

All-Gator

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:30 AM

Leurgy,

I found a freeware program (Autostart Program Viewer from sysinterals.com) which allows you to block parts of programs rather than the whole thing. I used it to block the email scanner portion of AVG.

I agree that the scanner seems to be an unnecessary problem.

Thanks again
A-G

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users