Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Complete Booting; Cannot Get Safe Mode To Work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gary2hs

gary2hs

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:35 PM

I cannot get my computer to complete the booting process. Currently, the desktop appears with all of the icons, but I cannot launch any of the programs. When the cursor is placed over the task bar on the bottom of the screen, the busy hourglass appears. When the cursor is placed over the desktop, the arrow appears, but nothing works.

I cannot get the computer to completely boot in safe mode. I get a black screen with the words safe mode at the bottom, and the operating system across the very top. An arrow cursor appears, but nothing else happens.

About 6 days ago, I had to boot in safe mode and disable restore due to the presence of multiple trojan virii. They appeared to be removed and the computer worked normally for awhile. The next morning, the computer appeared to be frozen. After rebooting several times, I was able to launch the task manager, and the CPU showed 100% usage. 56 processes were shown to be loaded. Explorer was showing significant activity, despite no applications having been loaded.

The status has continued to deteriorate to the point now, where I cannot get a full boot; cannot get to safe mode; cannot launch Norton Systemworks.

I am operating Windows XP on a Dell 2400.

H E L P PLEASE!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gary2hs

gary2hs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:09 PM

Now the Norton has detected "Trojan.Vundo", C:\Windows\System32\pmkh.dll -- however, it failed to remove the virus. Checking the Symantec site recommends downloading the removal tool, but since I cannot get to the Internet, I cannot download.

Suggestions?

#3 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:21 PM

I keep AV tools which are .exe files on a cd-rom for just such a problem... However this will not help you unless I send you a copy. Email me through the forum if you want a copy.

#4 gary2hs

gary2hs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:26 PM

At this point, I may have only your option, and reloading the operating system. I am now stuck in safe mode, which is not functioning. Do you think it is likely that your solution will save me, or am I just delaying the inevitable?

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:24 AM

Do you have the boot disks for XP?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=305595

#6 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:30 AM

I would suggest trying to build the UBCD4Win, you'll need a WinXP CD with either SP1 or SP2 integrated and this will give you full read/write access to your hdd allowing you to run several AV scanners and remove the infection.

The other alternative is to mod the original UltimateBoot CD with NTFS4Dos to give you read/write access to your drive.

#7 gary2hs

gary2hs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for offering those remedies. I have a Dell computer, and I think Win XP is probably bundled to the point that I cannot access parts of it. I am not a basic user, but I would need more guidance to be able to try some of your suggestions.

I do have the boot disks for WinXP as part of a 4 CD set labeled as Dell.

#8 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:58 AM

If you have the XP cd's I would build the ubcd4win as this will be much easier than trying to modify the original ultimate boot cd.

All the information you need on how to build the ubcd4win can be found here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users