Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to Internet after trying to remove infections

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 avgwtoc2pi

avgwtoc2pi

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:32 AM

Hello BC.

I recently became aware of multiple infections on my laptop, these were Questscan and Open Cloud Security. There may have been others, but I didn't see their effects. To clean my PC, I tried to use MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM). However, every time I started a scan, the program would close after a few seconds on it's own accord.

I searched the internet for answers as to how to solve this and stumbled by BC offering support to people that appeared to be in similar circumstances. They were instructed to use ComboFix. So I took it upon myself without research to download, install and run ComboFix on my laptop. It found multiple infections (Have the log) and to the best of my knowledge, cured them.

After I ran ComboFix, I tried to scan with MBAM again. This time, it successfully completed an entire scan. It found the Questscan malware and cured it to the best of my knowledge. (Have the log)

Next I ran TDSS Killer by Zaspersky. It found two infections cured one, and removed another by my choice. (Have the log)

This is where things went bad. Between these three programs, I hadn't tried to access the internet. After their completion I tried accessing the net, but I couldn't establish network connection. I tried repairing the network and flushing things left, right and center to no avail.

I again looked towards the net for solutions, found two fixes that I thought may be relevant. LSP fix and Winsock fix. I ran both and again tried to access my wireless network, but it wouldn't connect. I changed the network settings from automatic DNS/IP assignment to manual and entered the information. I was able to connect to the network, but I didn't recieve any packets whenever I tried to access the net.

And now you're up to date with where I am now. I know I'm entirely responsible for the predicament I'm in now, (particularly the use of ComboFix), and am requesting advice as to how I can get access to my internet. I'm using a house-mate's PC at the moment, so delays between responses might be a factor.

Thank you for reading and in advance of any help you may be able to offer.

-Ben

Edited by avgwtoc2pi, 04 October 2011 - 12:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:49 AM

Welcome! I suggest you have a look at the malware removal secton here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic182397.html and http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html
Also, it is not suggested to run Combofix without instruction as it can make your computer inoperable, or suffer from other issues. If you use it without instruction, it is often thought as you have read the tos, dangers, warnings and understand the risk.
Nosce te ipsum.

#3 avgwtoc2pi

avgwtoc2pi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:56 AM

Welcome! I suggest you have a look at the malware removal secton here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic182397.html and http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html
Also, it is not suggested to run Combofix without instruction as it can make your computer inoperable, or suffer from other issues. If you use it without instruction, it is often thought as you have read the tos, dangers, warnings and understand the risk.

Thanks for the info. I'll try to get this moved to the Am I Infected forum, since it seems more appropriate.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:59 AM

Hello,

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Since you have run ComboFix, please include the ComboFix log in the new topic. Please be sure to include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to try to resolve them.

If you cannot produce any of the other logs, then please create the new topic anyway, include the information that you were unable to produce the other logs and why and include the ComboFix log along with a description of your computer issues.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:04 AM

You can try LSPFIX, or run a bat file to fix the issue. You want to be sure that your computer is clean beforehand. However, the malware removal team may offer a better suggestion, this is mine. :thumbup2:

@echo off
color 0A
prompt CLI:\
title Internet Fix
cls
echo Unhooking Internet...
ipconfig /release
cls
echo Unhooking Internet...Finished!
cls
echo Rehooking Internet...
ipconfig /renew
cls
echo Rehooking Internet... Finished!
cls
echo Flushing DNS cache...
ipconfig /flushdns
cls
echo Flushing DNS cache... Finished!
cls
echo Reset IP...
netsh int ip reset C:\IpRst.txt
cls
echo Reset IP... Finished!
cls
echo Reset Winsock...
netsh winsock reset C:\WinSRst.txt
echo Reset Winsock... Finished!
cls
echo Finished! Program finished. Computer needs to restart.
pause
shutdown -r -t 01

Select and copy the above text, open notepad and paste in the code. Save as InternetFix.bat (be sure you select 'all files' and not '.txt') This may work, it may not. It's hard to tell exactly what the issue is, here. I just wanted to give you an extra solution, in case all others are exhausted.

Edited by ngм, 04 October 2011 - 01:13 AM.

Nosce te ipsum.

#6 avgwtoc2pi

avgwtoc2pi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:28 AM

I tried the bat ngм, but no luck. It ran, rebooted PC but no improvement. Thanks again though for the idea.

I'm going to post a new topic instructed by the guide Orange Blossom linked me to. So, this thread could be closed.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:27 AM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic421816.html you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users