Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Restarts 7 Times Before Boot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lazydude

lazydude

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:59 PM

I don't know why but it takes approximately 7 restarts before my computer restarts. It cannot be malware because I formatted my hard drive.
However I DID have a virus before it was removed. And when I had it, it messed up my partitions. So I used a program to fix partitions and get my data back. Although formatting should of worked, I still think its this.
When installing my OS, it didn't let me use all of my 600 something GBs. It kept 100MBs for system blah blah. So idk.

Can anyone help me with this trouble?
I was told it could be hardware. Now I can see that, MAYBE the program messed up my hard drive physically. But my computer has no dust and the newest component added was done 6 months ago.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:51 PM

I'd suggest you format the drive once more, deleting your partitions and start over. Reinstall OS, rebuild partitions. If the problem still occurs it's definitely the hardware.
Nosce te ipsum.

#3 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:30 AM

Well the 100MB you are talking about are for boot information and recovery options, they are there so people don't delete them and make there computers unbootable.
With the restarting thing I'm also thinking Hardware.
And just to let you know viruses can not physically damage hardware.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:32 AM

I'd suggest you format the drive once more, deleting your partitions and start over. Reinstall OS, rebuild partitions.

I agree 100%.

#5 lazydude

lazydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:27 PM

While formatting the first time, I kept clicking format =_=
Then when I finally created the partition, I click format again then installed windows 7.
I really don't feel like formatting again :s

#6 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:19 PM

I think you may have misunderstood me. I meant format the drive (only once) then rebuild your partitions, then install the OS. Not format more than once...
Nosce te ipsum.

#7 lazydude

lazydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:59 PM

I think you misunderstood me. As I already done it. Because I deleted all partitions and formatted it when I had to format about 2 weeks ago.

#8 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:36 PM

Try doing a checkdisk.
Go to computer select C: drive right click to properties click the tools tab click check-now button check both boxes click start then restart your computer.
See if that works.

#9 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:47 PM

I think you misunderstood me. As I already done it. Because I deleted all partitions and formatted it when I had to format about 2 weeks ago.

Okay, I understand. Assuming you have formatted your drive correctly and completely and have built your partitions correctly, try what LouiseR47 suggested. Only, you're gonna want to have a /f switch on it.

To do this, press the windows key, and while holding it down press the R key. Type in "cmd" and press 'ENTER'.
Once in the command line window, please type in the following:

chkdsk /f

If your file system is NTFS, you may have to type 'Y' (then hit enter) to check and fix the file system next time your system starts.

If that doesn't work, it's the HDD (meaning you'd need to get a new hard drive) or something on the cpu, psu, motherboard, or ram has been damaged or are old. They may need to be replaced. Alternatively, it may just be a matter of upgrading. You may need more RAM, or a more up-to-date CPU. Or, the virus may still be on your machine (in the BIOS)

Do you remember which program you used to fix your partitions? Also, which virus was on your machine?

Edited by ngм, 07 October 2011 - 08:48 PM.

Nosce te ipsum.

#10 lazydude

lazydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:57 PM

No I don't remember the program, and check disk did nothing unless it saves a log.
I have 2.4 GHz cpu
8GB ram. I don't think I'll be needing to upgrade soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users