Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home SP3, OE will receive mail, intermittently won't send.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nopk73

nopk73

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:07 PM

Hi all..

My neighbor asked for help on his computer.. I can usually solve his issues.. but this one's got me stumped..

He's running a fully updated XP Home SP3 and Outlook Express.

Say every 10 times or so he tries to send email, OE fails to connect to host and returns a Socket Error 10060.. When this happens, he still has full internet access.. he can surf to his hearts content.. but trying to send mail will fail..

Through trial and error, I've found that when things are failing, if I immediately open a command prompt and release/renew his IP, OE will send no problems.. power cycling the router, however, doesnt necessarily fix the issue like renewing his IP does..

The host he's trying to connect to is his ISP's SMTP server.. he's spent about an hour on the phone with their tech support and thought they had it licked, but no.

He was previously running Avast.. and while on with tech support, they had him install their free Shaw Secure / ISP branded McAfee product.. the problem has persisted over 2 different antivirus products then so I dont think thats the issue.. Nor could I find any mention out outgoing mail scanning in the McAfee configuration..

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nopk73

nopk73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:08 PM

Oh, I should mention that I scanned the system with Spybot and MBAM as well, and other than Hotbar (which I removed) it was spy/malware free..

#3 nopk73

nopk73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:09 PM

Sooo.. no-one eh? Really trying to avoid something as drastic as a reinstall..

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:09 AM

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms740668(v=vs.85).aspx

IMO, primary suspects should be OE settings...OP has complained of no other Internet access problems?

I would repair OE and set up the email account anew.

Louis

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:38 AM

Are there any other error numbers in addition to the socket error>

Usually there will be something else.

An example would be

No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

The error number is generally the key to what is wrong. If there is an error number, please post the entire error message. If the email address is anywhere in the message, xxx out the part before the @whatever domain.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 October 2011 - 09:52 AM.

#6 nopk73

nopk73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for the responses.. I'll have him snap a pic the next time it occurs and get the info for you.. Off the top of my head, the error # you posted as an example reaaaally looks like what was coming up .. but let me confirm..

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users