Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Of Deat About 15 Seconds After Desktop Loads

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Brett_Fl

Brett_Fl

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:35 PM

I have a Gateway (AMD Athlon) running Windows XP SP2 and whenever I have to reboot I can count on having to do it at least a half dozen times. The desktop will load completely and I can hear the HD clicking like a second hand on a watch then about 15-20 seconds passes the fatal blue screen pops up. This seems to happen at exactly the same time after each reboot and usually the A drive will grind for a second. In this time period or the restart after the Desktop is up if I click on Exp our Outlook nothing happens until the blue screen pops up. Now after several reboots it will finally stay on without the blue screen but there is still a bit of a hesitation after the desktop is loaded before I can load Explorer. There is also some HD grinding and the A drive kicks on for a second at the same time that the screen would normally go blue on the previous reboot attempts.

I almost feel like it has something to do with windows security or maybe my DSL modem or D-link router however I can start in Safe mode networking everytime without fail.

Any ideas for this frustrated PC user?

Thanks

Edited by Brett_Fl, 24 January 2006 - 05:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:46 PM

Have a little patience, I am sure someone can help you, but a little more information would be useful.

What message do you get on the bsod?

Also what operating system are you running, what speed is your processor, how much ram and how big is your hard drive also how much free space do you have?

Finally do you have up to date anti-virus and anti-spyware software on your machine?

#3 Brett_Fl

Brett_Fl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:07 PM

Have a little patience, I am sure someone can help you, but a little more information would be useful.

What message do you get on the bsod?

Also what operating system are you running, what speed is your processor, how much ram and how big is your hard drive also how much free space do you have?

Finally do you have up to date anti-virus and anti-spyware software on your machine?

Virus and spyware software are up to date.

Microsoft Windows XP home edition 2002 SP-2

1.20 Ghz.
384 MB Ram
40GB hard drive with 14.4 GB Free Space

Not sure of the blue screen error and don't want to restart now to find out...

#4 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:55 PM

It would be most helpful to have the error message. Otherwise you might try booting from a windows xp disk and trying to run the recovery console. Here is a link to a site that has pretty good instructions on how to do this.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/recovery_console.htm

The recovery console can repair corrupted files in the os and a corrupted registry.

#5 Brett_Fl

Brett_Fl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 07:04 PM

Ok thanks I am almost afraid to reboot unless I have to I am adraid one of these times it is not going to make it past that glitch no matter how many times I reboot,

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 07:21 PM

Hello Brett_Fl and welcome to BC.

If you are hearing ticking noises from your hard drive then it is most likely about to fail. Listen to Noises that indicate a defective drive and see if you recognize something.

Back up any files you want to keep as soon as possible and don't shut the computer off until you do. Don't let it go into hibernation either. What type of hard drive is this? See my Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools, Links to Manufacturers Utilities for a program to check the drive. The Seagate SeaTools Online Edition might show what is going on.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 Brett_Fl

Brett_Fl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:58 AM

I will check out your links but I do not think it is an external ticking sound I do think something is either trying to read the drive or write to it.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:09 AM

You can generally find the Blue Screen (BSOD) error in a couple of other places on your computer:

1) In the System category of Event Viewer
2) In a .dmp file on your hard drive.

This holds true as long as you haven't disabled "Write errors to Event log" in the depths of Control Panel.

First, go to Start...Run... and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Left click once on the word "System" in the left hand pane - then check the right hand pane for errors that occurred about the time of the BSOD. Right click on the error and select "Properties". What you're looking for is information that has numbers similar to this: 0x0000007b Once you find it, copy down all the numbers and any filenames that may be showing and post them here.

The other method involves searching your hard drive for files that end in .dmp. If you find them, here's a link on how to open them for analysis: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

While this may look complicated - it's actually quite easy to run the program. If you do choose to run the program, be sure to type "!analyse -v" (without the qoutes) in the box at the bottom of the screen after the debugger runs for the first time - then just copy all that informantion here and we can work out a fix.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Brett_Fl

Brett_Fl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:27 AM

Here is what I found

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000000a (0x0005001b, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804e469a). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012406-03.dmp.

Let me know if this can tell me anything.

Thanks for all of the HELP

#10 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 03:00 PM

It looks like there may be a couple of possible causes. Have you installed any new hardware lately? If so try uninstalling the device drivers and see if problem goes away.

If not then it may also be a problem with an older bios having a problem with service pack 2. Check your manufacturer to see if there is an updated bios.

Here is a link to a Microsoft patch that might be of some help.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:29 AM

As franktiii has said, any information about what's happened to your system recently may be the easiest way to solve this problem.

The minidump file may also provide invaluable information about this error.

Please go to this link and follow the procedure for analyzing the dump file (FWIW - the 03 indicates that it's the 3rd dump file made on January 24th, so you may want to check for the others)

Here's the link: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

Make sure that you type "!analyze -v" (without the quotes) in the bottom of the window after you run the program and generate a report. This will provide more information about the crash for us to anayze. While the report may appear to be "gibberish", just copy it and paste it here and we'll have a look see.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Brett_Fl

Brett_Fl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:32 PM

Microsoft ® Windows Debugger Version 6.6.0003.5
Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012906-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Executable search path is:
Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 (Service Pack 2) UP Free x86 compatible
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS Personal
Built by: 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519
Kernel base = 0x804d7000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0x8055a420
Debug session time: Sun Jan 29 11:43:59.108 2006 (GMT-5)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:03:34.708
Loading Kernel Symbols
.................................................................................................................................
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000000A, {5001b, 2, 0, 804e469a}

Unable to load image pro2000.sys, Win32 error 2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for pro2000.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for pro2000.sys
Probably caused by : pro2000.sys ( pro2000+5ad )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

kd> !analyze -v
* Bugcheck Analysis *

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.
If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0005001b, memory referenced
Arg2: 00000002, IRQL
Arg3: 00000000, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
Arg4: 804e469a, address which referenced memory

Debugging Details:
------------------

READ_ADDRESS: 0005001b

CURRENT_IRQL: 2

FAULTING_IP:
nt!KeSetEvent+30
804e469a 66394616 cmp [esi+0x16],ax

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: 0xA

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from f7422709 to 804e469a

STACK_TEXT:
b986ed5c f7422709 8219caa4 00000000 00000000 nt!KeSetEvent+0x30
b986ed70 f7ac75ad 8219caa4 f7433c25 8219ca90 NDIS!NdisSetEvent+0x12
WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
b986ed98 f7428baa 836805a0 00000000 8227c3a0 pro2000+0x5ad
b986edac 8057be15 83680644 00000000 00000000 NDIS!ndisWorkerThread+0x75
b986eddc 804fa4da f7428b85 83680644 00000000 nt!PspSystemThreadStartup+0x34
00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 nt!KiThreadStartup+0x16

STACK_COMMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
pro2000+5ad
f7ac75ad ?? ???

FAULTING_SOURCE_CODE:

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 2

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

SYMBOL_NAME: pro2000+5ad

MODULE_NAME: pro2000

IMAGE_NAME: pro2000.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 399b828d

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0xA_pro2000+5ad

BUCKET_ID: 0xA_pro2000+5ad

Followup: MachineOwner

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:45 PM

This is great! Thanks for running the debug! Makes our job so much easier! :thumbsup:

1) Notice the reference that the error occurs at IRQL2 - if you check your system (using msinfo32) you'll probably find that a device attached there is malfunctioning (due to it's driver). Frequently, when you look at IRQL2 - there won't be anything there. So, on with the hunt.....!

2) Notice all the references to pro2000.sys and pro2000. This is most likely the culprit. Now, search your hard drive for these files and see what they relate to. Most likely, from my google search for the terms, this is related to a USB Network connection.

One important question tho' - are you using a "bridged" connection? I don't mean do you have one - but rather, is there a reason that you want to use one? If not - go into your network connections and disable the darned thing because it's not needed!

So, what to do? Go into Device Manager and disable the USB Network thing - see if this stops the BSOD. If not, then unplug it - see if that stops it. Then, update the drivers and see if this fixes it.

Let us know if it works! There's more that could have been the cause of this - but this by far the most likely reason.

Oops! Forgot the most obvious thing - visit the web site of the folks who made this device and see if there's any known issues of this sort. It may point the way to a better fix.

Edited by usasma, 30 January 2006 - 05:47 PM.

#14 Brett_Fl

Brett_Fl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:14 PM

Under my network adaptors there was a USB conNET Network Adator listed so I removed it. I think it may have had something to do with an old USB modem I once used.

I did a search for pro200 on my hard drive and it isin the c:\windows\inf and c:\windows\system32\drivers. The one in the drivers folder gived a company name as I piut the pointer over the file and it's Prolific Technology Inc.

I will now restart my pc to see what happens.

OK I restarted 2X with no blue screen but on the second restart I got one of the system error reports that wants to send the details to microsoft so I did and it comes back related to that pro200 and the bridge thing you mentioned. I can't find anyplace to disable the bridge.

Edited by Brett_Fl, 30 January 2006 - 07:36 PM.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:01 PM

In your network connections will be several things. One of them should read "Bridge" or something like that. That's the bugger that you've gotta disable (it's caused problems for me in the past).

Also, you can look at your connection in that screen. If it's "bridged" it'll say it under the name of the connection.

Look in your Add/Remove programs for the Pro2000 stuff and see if you can find it and delete it!.

Also, search your hard drive for things like Pro2000, Prolific, conNET, etc - to see if you can locate the program itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users