Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limit Bandwidth On Network

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Somanyquestions

Somanyquestions

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:22 PM

Ok. Here's what I am trying to do. I suck at explaining things, so I'll do my best to make this clear as possible.

I only have a lame 256 DSL connection. I have a network in which only two computers are sharing the same internet connection.

When I'm playing games, and/or surfing the net, the other computer is sometimes in use (mainly downloading from Limewire) which causing my gaming ping to go sky rocketing - or my webpages to load extremely slow. Duh. :thumbsup:

Now ---

I want to know is there some way to limit both computers to a flat rate of only being able to use exactly 128mb of the connection instead of hogging 200 and leaving the other one with plain 56. (rough numbers, just giving you the idea.) I want it to be as if, one computer only had 128 and the other only had 128 as if there were 2 separate internet connections.

Please. In desperate help!

Thanks in advance.

T.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:27 PM

:thumbsup: to BC Somanyquestions,

I have a network in which only two computers are sharing the same internet connection.

How is the connection shared?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Somanyquestions

Somanyquestions
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:28 PM

oops, forgot that

Through a dsl router

2wire brand.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:55 PM

Well it is possible in theory. But you would have to be able to reconfigure your router to do this. I've no idea what level of control your router gives you but I doubt whether you would have the necessary access. Here is an example of the configuration for a Cisco router just for interest:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pr.../qccar.htm#6974
I'm in way over my head here so I'll leave it for others to give better suggestions.

Edited by Rimmer, 24 January 2006 - 09:58 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:38 AM

I think this may be what you want. Here is a quote from the product description....

It can allocate proxy client bandwidth respectively. The bandwidth control can allocate the different bandwidth to the different users. Thus, it can control the speed of net surfing and occupation of the bandwidth resource of each user and avoid the traffic jam of net, which is caused by some users who try to download files.

CCProxy Server description

I have not used this product and as such cannot recommend it. I have posted it to give you an option. I have listed several other product which I thought you could use for reseach. I hope this helps.

Bandwidth Manager
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Somanyquestions

Somanyquestions
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:58 PM

Thank you very much Rimmer and Acklan -

Rimmer's Cisco's link went way over my head, so I just kind of gave up in it.

However I have tried Softpedia's Bandwidth manager that Acklan reccomended and it didn't do what I was looking for :/

But --

I'm going to try CCProxy, it seems like it's exactly what I want from the description above. I"ll get back to you guys and tell you how it goes.

Thanks

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:05 PM

You may need to use an old computer to router the other computers thru for the CCProxy software to work. I have nt used it but from what I am reading. You should be VERY CAREFUL what software you enable on either computer.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users