Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Long time listener....1st time caller"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 TinkTheHustler2

TinkTheHustler2

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:36 PM

Hello,

This is the 1st time for me to post to a "tech help forum". I am familiar with, and have run on this system, CCleaner, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, "sfc /scannow" from CMD and the run o' the mill AVG scan.

I remotely access my sibling's computers and update the usual (Adobe, Java, security suites, etc) and run the scans mentioned above. I recently brought home a co-worker's little Gateway Netbook in hopes to release it from the grips of something horrible that is slowing it down to the speed of cold honey running up hill.

After deleting "Webroot with Spy Sweeper", running Malwarebytes, Superantispyware and Ccleaner it has helped somewhat. By the way, I replaced Webroot with AVG 2012, free version.

I followed the "system check" for Windows, only to be told that "no problems were found". All drivers are updated. I ran all of the scans with hidden files unhidden. Now, I'm at a stand still. This system still boots REMARKABLY slow (about 5 minutes) and I am out of ideas. It's time for smarter people than I to have a go at it.

So, would someone please reply with the instructions they would like for me to follow? Thank you, in advance, for your time with this matter. (That was me NOT wildly posting scan results like I see so often here.....lol).

Tink

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:58 AM

1) If you think it's malware you can post in our Am I Infected forum. If you want to try a little troubleshooting yourself then:

2) Boot to safe mode. Does it boot normally? If so then:

3) Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:07 PM

AII topic working,closing this one.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users