Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

$350 AMD 6-Core Processor, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD. Is this for real?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nahlij

nahlij

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:22 PM

Im just now learning more about processors and whatnot, but as of now I have a dual-core, with just 1GB of RAM, 250GB HDD. and i have been thinking of going to a quad-core but then my friend told me about this deal online.

here is the link: My link

Is this a good deal or does it just look really good? Because to just buy a full computer with a quad-core will be $500+ and for this price to get a 6-core i think is worth getting. I don't need a really good computer but look at this deal i think i will be able to have for a very long time. I have had my dual core for 6 years and have had no problems so this 6-core should last a really long time.

Any suggestions? I appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:29 AM

That's not that bad, it just doesn't have a dedicated graphics card in it or the latest 900 series chipset.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:39 PM

<<Is this a good deal or does it just look really good?>>

Value...is always subjective.

I would compare it to similar systems at http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=10&Nav=|c:332|&Sort=4 , being mindful that AMD is about to come out with new processors which is making the current lineup inventory to be disposed of at lower prices.

If you are going to run a 32-bit O/S, 8GB of RAM is not pertinent. If you are going to run a 64-bit O/S and do mundane things on the system...8GB of RAM is not pertinent.

You will also have to purchase a license/install whatever version of Windows you intend to use. So that $359 really amounts to close to $459.

I would probably look at something other than barebones, based on the cost of buying a license for Windows. There are plenty of good systems which come with Windows available (IMO) for less than you would outlay for that barebones/Windows combination.

Louis

Possibly worth reading, http://www.anandtech.com/show/3674

Edited by hamluis, 04 October 2011 - 12:47 PM.

#4 nahlij

nahlij
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:48 PM

Im not worried about the OS, i have that taken care of. And if they are coming out with new processors i dont think that affect me because i have been using my amd dual core for 6 years since 2005 and still dont have any reason to upgrade it, until i saw this deal but if i take this bundle then i wont need/want to upgrade to anything else for manyy years thats why i think its worth getting a new computer now for this price so i wont have to worry about this for a really long time

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:06 PM

The new AMD processors will be the Bulldozer which features up to 8 cores.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users