Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LCD Flicker / Display Freeze

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mf0706

mf0706

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:30 PM

I bought a refurbished laptop (hp 6930p elite) from an ebay seller last month. The laptop has been having display problems. I first noticed occasional LCD flickering. It can be temporarily resolved by adjusting the angle of the laptop screen, but the flickering always comes back later.

I contacted the seller, and they said I could take off the front bezel and check the connections to the lcd without voiding the 90-day warranty they offered. I reset the connection between lcd and the inverter, but it didn't help.

Since then I've also noticed occasional display freezing as well. Ie, programs still run, but the entire display stops or skips for a second or two. The problems (flicker and freeze) are most prevalent when I'm actually holding the laptop in my lap... I guess because it is a hardware problem that is disturbed by small movements?

Both the seller and I are trying to avoid me having to ship the laptop back to them for replacement or repair. (Costs them $ and leaves me without a laptop for a while) They've offered to send me a new inverter, but I don't know enough about laptop display mechanisms to be confident that the inverter is really the problem.

Just wanted to get some feedback or a second opinion on what could be causing intermittent lcd flicker and total display freezing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:50 PM

This is very normal assuming you do not have it plugged in. Laptop lcd screens tend to 'dim' to save power when they are not plugged in. Sometimes while dimming (or going through its cycle) they will flicker.
Nosce te ipsum.

#3 mf0706

mf0706
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:59 PM

This is very normal assuming you do not have it plugged in. Laptop lcd screens tend to 'dim' to save power when they are not plugged in. Sometimes while dimming (or going through its cycle) they will flicker.

Thanks for the reply.

To clarify: The flickering occurs whether or not the laptop is plugged in and is accompanied by occasional skipping or freezing of the entire display. The flickering is most often localized to the bottom inch or bottom half of the screen, and the flickering portion goes much darker than when the backlight dims to save power.

#4 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:11 PM

Hmm... what kind of video card do you have? RAM?
Nosce te ipsum.

#5 mf0706

mf0706
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:16 PM

Hmm... what kind of video card do you have? RAM?

Video card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450
2GB RAM

That said, I've connected the laptop to an external monitor and there was no flickering or freezing, so I think I've counted out video card issues already.

Edit: Just realized I've been saying "LCD flicker" when I should be specifying that I think the flickering is just in the LED backlight (ie: flickering appears are dark horizontal bars on screen but very faint image is still visible in darkened sections)

Edited by mf0706, 04 October 2011 - 09:38 PM.

#6 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:33 AM

Okay, that being said-- I'd say you need a new monitor for your laptop. Take in.
Nosce te ipsum.

#7 mf0706

mf0706
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:00 AM

Okay, that being said-- I'd say you need a new monitor for your laptop. Take in.

I was worried that would be the case, but I'm glad to have the clarification.
Thanks for your help!

#8 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:22 AM

Yeah, I understand, it is aggravating. And you're welcome!
Nosce te ipsum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users