Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removed iBryte desktop/Browse for change

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jsv

jsv

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:35 PM

Please help! I don't know if I'm infected or not but here's the rundown: On Friday I noticed that iBryte desktop had installed itself along with Alot toolbar, and Browse for Change. Used Control Panel > Add/Remove Program to removed them all. Rebooted. And now the following is happening:

- cannot access internet: clicking on either Firefox or IE looks like it's working, then closes by itself
- clicking on some desktop icons causes them to shadow (such as My Network Places) while some folders open but none of the icons will launch
- task bar is missing - when I restore it, it's there for a few minutes then disappears again
- was able to run MBAM and SuperAntispyware (by going through Program Files and launching the .exe file and they were able to update themselves), but they found nothing aside from some tracking cookies
- when I start up the computer above the START button I have a huge white menu with Folder Tasks and Other Places listed and I cannot restore the desktop.
- I was unable to run Hijack This - I got the following error message: Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if running Windows in safe mode, or if the windows installer is not correctly installed. I used the Hijack This exectuable file which did generate a log file.

Any help is much appreciated.

I'm running Windows XP (set to auto Windows updates)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:14 PM

Hello and welcome.

First for the connection try these...

Please click Start > Run, type inetcpl.cpl in the runbox and press enter.
Click the Connections tab and click the LAN settings option.
Verify if "Use a proxy..." is checked, if so, UNcheck it and click OK/OK to exit.
Now check if the internet is working again.

OR

Go to Start ... Run and type in cmd
A dos Window will appear.
Type in the dos window: netsh winsock reset
Click on the enter key.

Reboot your system to complete the process.

Now run SFC

Please run SFC (System File Checker)
Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista/WIN 7 users..The command needs to be run from an Elevated Command Prompt.Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the CD when asked.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jsv

jsv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:55 PM

Thank you so much for helping Boopme. It worked! Everything is fine now. :thumbup2:

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:00 PM

You're welcome!!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users