Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive not recognised

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Edcondi

Edcondi

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:57 AM

The hard drive I have does not work as it is not recognised. Please help or advise how I could work around this problem.
Many thanks for your kind consideration of my problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:05 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

I would take it that your hard drive is a SATA hard drive and when the Windows Xp disk is booted to, you are finding that after loading all of the available drivers from the disk, Windows claims it can not find any hard drives. Is this correct?

Here is a possible solution, this is for SATA hard drives ONLY:

The Windows XP installation disk can not find the SATA hard drive because it requires special SATA drivers to be loaded when the installation or repair mentions this at the bottom of the XP installation screen.

To get around this you have to enter the BIOS setup utility and look for the DRIVES menu.

Expand DRIVES menu and look for SATA OPERATION, select SATA OPERATION, then look in sub-menu for RAID AUTODETECT / ATA, select that and save to CMOS.

If it is set to RAID AUTODETECT / AHCI or RAID ON, the hard drive will not be detected by Windows XP and it will say there is NO hard drive in the system.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users