Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All folder contents lost?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Myq

Myq

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:58 AM

Well here's my current situation:

Been trying to combat some issues, my previous posts can be found Here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic421638.html/page__p__2427839__fromsearch__1#entry2427839
and
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic421645.html/page__p__2427966__fromsearch__1#entry2427966

While I was running my GMER scan, I started to have a huge issue with another virus. "Data Restore"

I ran MBAM to remove the virus, which I have done successfully, but now all of my desktop icons are completely gone, all my shortcuts on my bottom bar are gone, as well as the ones on my start menu. Had very important things in the folders on my desktop, and now they're all missing.

Edit: Looks like ALL of my folders in my computer are empty, or showing AS empty. However, I CAN find the files if I search for them individually, but my desktop is blank, and any folder I open is empty...

PLEASE HELP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Myq

Myq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:01 AM

OH LORD, I'm as daft as they were clever... "They" being whoever created the virus I got rid of... Made all of my files and folders to be set as Hidden. Fixed the problem myself with your helpful guide found here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic78386.html

Thank you and I'm sorry for the pointless post!

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,903 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:09 AM

Your post was not pointless as many others have encountered similar infections. The symptoms you describe can be indicative of a side effect from the HDD Defrag family of rogue security programs which changes file attributes to "hidden", making them appear invisible so the user thinks some of their files have been deleted. Newer variants of the FakeHDD rogue delete Quick Launch and Start Menu items/folders.

Just so you know, we have removal guides to help with such infections. See this example guide which includes removal instructions and using unhide.exe (Step 17), a tool which will remove the "hidden" attribute on all files and attempt to restore Quick Launch and Start Menu items to their proper location.

However, since you have posted your logs in the Malware Removal Forum you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

Edited by quietman7, 03 October 2011 - 07:14 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Myq

Myq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:59 AM

Ah! That .exe helped quite a bit. Now I don't have to deal with all of my folders being translucent ^_^

As for my logs - I may have to repost them anyways, as the random virus occurred after I had created them.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,903 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:27 PM

If that's the case wait for a member of the team to reply first and you can mention that. In most cases, they will ask for new logs anyway.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Myq

Myq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •