Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Message

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 klingal

klingal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:28 PM

I'm getting an error message on startup. It says "hkcmd.exe failed to initialize properly (oxc0000142) Click OK to terminate application."
Any ideas what this means?
My laptop is also very very slow - I wonder if it's related.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:36 PM

Hi klingal

Can you tell me which operating system you are using? (e.g. Windows XP SP2).

Thanks
David

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:12 PM

The hkcmd.exe process provides a system tray icon, and hotkey access to some of the features of your Intel Graphics card. If you use the hotkey features to change your video cards settings, you should leave this process running, otherwise it is safe to terminate this process.

http://www.auditmypc.com/process/hkcmd.asp

It would not hurt to run Ad-AwareSE and Spybot just to be on the safe side, since adware can slow down your computer, as can not defragging or having too many applications launching on startup.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:36 AM

hkcmd - hkcmd.exe - Process Information
Process File: hkcmd or hkcmd.exe
Process Name: Intel Hotkey

Description:
hkcmd.exe is installed alongside Intel multimedia devices and allows configuration and diagnostic options for these devices. This program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

I would suggest reinstalling the software for the above Intel Multimedia device eg. the video card and reboot the system Then run all of the security programs needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users