Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet drops out - can't seem to resolve

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 PJW

PJW

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:01 PM

I recently upgraded to a newer Dell PC to replace an ancient one in my home. I have a comcast cable modem hooked up to a Netgear N600 Dual Band Gigabit Router router. I have several computers operating in my home some wired some wireless - without any problems. That would lead me to believe that the router is not the issue.
The newer Dell PC, running XP, is hard wired to the router via ethernet (CAT5) and this same set-up had no issues at all with the old PC.

While surfing the internet, I will lose internet connection (always). Sometimes after 10 minutes - sometimes an hour. The staus at the bottom says "Connected", but nothing is happening. I have tried many things to resolve (reboot router, disable/enable internet connection, disable/enable Broadcom Controller, change internet setting, etc.) but the only way to recover is reboot the computer. It makes be think that it is a Windows software issue or possible a faulty Network adpater (although the lights on the card are all good)

After a reboot, all works well and the internet connection is fast and flawless for a period of time before it inevitably fails. The PC has a Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller and I have loaded the latest drivers. The lights on back indicate that the connection is good.
Can someone help - I would greatly appreciate it.

BTW, if the browser is open and not being used, the connection will be good for hours without issue. Only after surfing will it eventually fail. Also, I turned the Firewall off, and it made no difference.

Edited by PJW, 02 October 2011 - 03:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users