Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I have to re-buy Win7?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 02 October 2011 - 02:19 PM

I have Win7 on my current computer. I've got new computer parts that I'm assembling. When the new computer is ready, I will have to wipe my hard drives to setup RAID 0 so I can use my SSD for SRT cache, correct?

If this is the case, is it possible for me to copy my current OS to a back-up drive, then recover it to my main HD in the new computer? Or, am I screwed and MS eats up another $150 or whatever?

I have a variety of internal and external drives lying around. I only have an upgrade-to-Windows-7 disk, not an OEM installation DVD. My current/old computer had Windows Vista that I upgraded to 7.

Thanks everyone!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:05 PM

Anybody? If this isn't possible let me know. If it's a topic that cannot be talked about on here let me know. I've seen something on tomshardware about this but I'm not sure if it's right.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:30 PM

What did you upgrade from? The license of the original OS is what you need to follow the guidelines of.

See here for the various types of licenses and their limitations: An Explanation of Oem, Upgrade, Academic, And Full Versions of software

Whatever the OS license type was prior to to the Win 7 upgrade will tell you what you are able to do.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:13 AM

I had OEM Windows Vista on my HP when new. Purchased Windows 7 upgrade. I have 64-bit Win7 home premium.

#5 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:44 AM

If I need to buy new OS installation disks, can I buy this:
OEM disks:
http://3btech.net/miwi7hopred6.html

Or, do I have to get a "Retail disk" like this:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0329041

I don't really understand fully the difference between an OEM and a retail disk in this case. Am I really paying an extra $90 for some different packaging? I guess I get MS support, but they aren't that great. If I get OEM, I can install on my computer, deinstall, then reinstall on the same computer? Another computer? I'd be using the same ID key after all!
Insights are appreciated.

Edited by cbjfan2009, 03 October 2011 - 09:46 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:01 AM

<<I've got new computer parts that I'm assembling. When the new computer is ready, I will have to wipe my hard drives...>>

FWIW: Microsoft considers change of motherboard...to equate to a new/different system.

XP OEM EULA - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/oemeula.htm

Your system is an HP...I believe that the only way to legally move to an upgrade version...is to invoke the option provided by HP for such "instant upgrade", due to the fact that every HP system uses a volume/OEM license...which cannot be changed by buying a retail upgrade version of Win 7. I could be wrong, but MS can clafify such matters.

The differences between MS OEM/System Builder versions of Windows...and retail versions...revolved around support by Microsoft and ability to transfer the licnese to a new system if the old one dies or is retired. An OEM system is tied forever to the system originally installed on...while a retail license can be moved to a different system if original system is retired or dies.

Louis

#7 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:26 PM

I guess I need a new disc. Drag. New OEM software on it's way.

Edited by cbjfan2009, 03 October 2011 - 08:17 PM.

#8 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:35 PM

I have Win7 on my current computer. I've got new computer parts that I'm assembling. When the new computer is ready, I will have to wipe my hard drives to setup RAID 0 so I can use my SSD for SRT cache, correct?

If this is the case, is it possible for me to copy my current OS to a back-up drive, then recover it to my main HD in the new computer? Or, am I screwed and MS eats up another $150 or whatever?

I have a variety of internal and external drives lying around. I only have an upgrade-to-Windows-7 disk, not an OEM installation DVD. My current/old computer had Windows Vista that I upgraded to 7.

Thanks everyone!!!!!

No, that won't work. You cannot copy an OS to a CD as files for the OS are all over the place. Your best bet is to wipe the HDD, and install the OS from the manufacturers CD. If you don't wish to go that way, there are free OS' available (Unix-based, not Command Line) such as Ubuntu.
Nosce te ipsum.

#9 jmcnetsys

jmcnetsys

• Banned Spammer
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:49 PM

Usually it's not possible to transfer an OEM key to another (especially retail) version of Windows.

It's also not possible to (legally) install an upgrade version of windows "cleanly".

To answer your question, you'll easily be able to backup (image) your OS, and then transfer it to your new hard drive.

If you have to reactivate windows you must contact Microsoft and inform them that the OS is only being used on one system.

Edited by jmcnetsys, 04 October 2011 - 12:51 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:34 PM

<<It's also not possible to (legally) install an upgrade version of windows "cleanly".>>

That depends on what you mean by "cleanly."

You can do a clean install with any upgrade version of Windows (XP users must do a clean install if using upgrade version of Win 7).

If by "cleanly" you mean that you use just that one disk to install...no. Part of the mechanics for any upgrade version of Windows...checks the system for a qualifying eariler version installed or the disk for same. So a user can do a clean install with upgrade version...but system must either have earlier qualifying version of Windows where it can be detected...or have the installation disk for same ready for insertion when prompted during the install.

Louis

#11 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:37 AM

<<It's also not possible to (legally) install an upgrade version of windows "cleanly".>>

That depends on what you mean by "cleanly."

You can do a clean install with any upgrade version of Windows (XP users must do a clean install if using upgrade version of Win 7).

If by "cleanly" you mean that you use just that one disk to install...no. Part of the mechanics for any upgrade version of Windows...checks the system for a qualifying eariler version installed or the disk for same. So a user can do a clean install with upgrade version...but system must either have earlier qualifying version of Windows where it can be detected...or have the installation disk for same ready for insertion when prompted during the install.

Louis

Agreed. Even if he moved Windows into its own partition and made a backup, there is no guarentee it would work.
Nosce te ipsum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users