Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 humhouse

humhouse

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:51 PM

I have about a 5 year old Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop. I attempted to get on the computer and found that it would not boot. Pressing the power button, the lights on the keyboard comes on, the processor fan spins for a second then everything just seems to stop. The power light and the battery charge light remains on and you can feel a slight vibration coming from the underside of the box (possible fan). The screen remains blank/black.

I have the exact same issue and a friend of mine as well. I used my laptop without problems the night before and shut my laptop leaving it to charge over night. She did the exact same thing a few weeks ago. We have done it this way for ever without a hitch. The next morning they seemed to be in sleep mode but unresponsive. The advice she got was to remove the battery and hold the start key down until it goes off. I did the same. Now they are simply black screens. On mine two lights blink on and off, the hard drive and one that looks like the hard drive symbol but with an arrow up and down inside it. The fan comes on for periodic moments but only for a second or two. I have searched the net for answers but none of what has been suggested has helped. The situation that deputyb716 described is the same. Only difference is my friend and I have Gateways that are about 5 years old. I did not see a solution to deputyb716 and was wondering if one had been found. If it is a matter of replacing parts or what not can it be done relatively cheap and easy or am I going to have to take it in to a computer repair center and pay $$$? I can't imagine the laptop is toast. Oh, and if I am to start a new topic for my on resolution please let me know.

Thanks,
hum...

Edited by hamluis, 02 October 2011 - 01:07 PM.
Split from different topic, PM sent new OP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:23 PM

advice she got was to remove the battery and hold the start key down until it goes off.

i think this advice ,was taken the wrong way , should have been to hold the button down till it goes off, then remove the battery and power cord ,then hold the power button in for about a minute, then put battery back in and plug in the power cord ,and try turning it back on .im think the slight vibration under the laptop is the hard drive spinning ,or cdrom [not likely],make sure there is no cd or dvd in the drive

did you try hooking it to a working computer monitor ,and boot the laptop to see if it maybe a problem with your lcd screen

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 humhouse

humhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:00 PM

Just tried the lcd...no luck. There are three out of five lights that light up. The antenna, hard drive and the third looks a little like the hard drive with an arrow pointing up and down. The antenna stays on but the other two blink off and on together every two seconds. It doesn't feel like there is anything going on inside either. I also tried the power button thing with no luck.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:23 PM

not sure of your ability to do this ,but if it were mine i would remove and reinstall the ram as my next troubleshooting

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 humhouse

humhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:27 PM

I pulled them out and reinstalled. Now if you meant to put new ones in, no I haven't tried that. I did get it to power up a little and it gave me this screen in the photo. I didn't see that anything was happening after several minutes so I shut it down. Attached File  100311212610.jpg   241.37KB   5 downloads

#6 humhouse

humhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:41 PM

One not to add. I was told to try turning on then off a few times in a row. Don't know why. I did get the screen giving me the option of hitting F2 or F10. Tried F10 started it in safe mode then it froze in the middle of loading. Tried a couple more times but now nothing.

#7 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:26 PM

Near the bottom of your screen it says to "enter setup to view ERROR"

Hit F2 upon the boot screen when you turn on the computer and shuffle through the screens, is there an error code available? Does the PC beep when booting? and maybe one of your RAM sticks is dead? Pull one, turn it on, and switch maybe one is failing.

#8 humhouse

humhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:39 PM

Well I can't get it repeat the previous screen...or anything now. Think I might have to bite the big one.

#9 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:55 PM

Did you go into BIOS and try to get a code though?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users