Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Complete PC Backup/Restore failure

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 huaraz

huaraz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:28 AM

Hi,

Has anybody succesfully backed up Vista and restored on a new bigger disk ?

I run Vista on a Sony Laptop with 2x160GB disks (OEM Vista Home license plus upgrade license to Vista Ultima). Now I would like to use 750GB disks.When I try backup/restore to make a "clone" onto my new disk it looks good at first but then I noticed that I can't read my Windows Mails ( I get an error of corruption), I can not run windows update with errors saying a service is not started although all services run as expected. I also can not see my second disk and a new device scan doesn't pick it up., etc.... Basically it does not work.

Any idea what is wrong ? Is there another way to "clone" the Windows C dive onto a bigger disk ? BTW I got the same result with a Unix dd, so I guess it is a Vista copy protection issue. Can someone confrm this ?

Thank you
Markus

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:15 PM

What model Sony laptop?

Louis

#3 huaraz

huaraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2011 - 01:39 PM

What model Sony laptop?

Louis

A Vaio VGN-AR51M. Does that make any difference ?

Markus

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:50 PM

I'm not sure what you are doing.

If you are trying to use the system recovery/restore-to-factory-defaults function...to install to a different hard drive...it sppears to me that this won't work. Such depends on a recovery partition that is installed on the original hard drive.

If you are doing anything else...it would help if you can spell it out more precisely than "PC Backup/Restore".

<<When I try backup/restore to make a "clone" onto my new disk...>>

Sounds to me as if you are trying to do the impossible, using the Sony system-restore function. I would suggest just cloning the entire old drive...to the new drive, following the instructions for any cloning software which you might use.

Once that is done, switech the new drive into the bootable hard drive option.

Louis

#5 huaraz

huaraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:51 PM

I'm not sure what you are doing.

If you are trying to use the system recovery/restore-to-factory-defaults function...to install to a different hard drive...it sppears to me that this won't work. Such depends on a recovery partition that is installed on the original hard drive.

I created recovery DVDs to reinstall Vista from zero, but that is not what I want (see below).

If you are doing anything else...it would help if you can spell it out more precisely than "PC Backup/Restore".

<<When I try backup/restore to make a "clone" onto my new disk...>>

I use the Vista Complete PC Backup tool as described here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-vista-complete-pc-backup/

Sounds to me as if you are trying to do the impossible, using the Sony system-restore function. I would suggest just cloning the entire old drive...to the new drive, following the instructions for any cloning software which you might use.

I tried to clone the disk with Unix tools like simple dd, but I got the same result.

Once that is done, switech the new drive into the bootable hard drive option.

Louis

It seems to me there is a Microsoft copy protection in place which checks the disk type or so. Is anybody aware of such a control ?

Markus

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:29 AM

Sorry, I can't answer any questions about the utility you referenced.

Hold on for sommentary from the membership who are more familiar with this utility and with Vista, please.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users