Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Greetings

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pcrepairman

pcrepairman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:47 AM

As suggested, I am introducing myself. My name is Mark and I have been working on computers professionally for over six years. Before that, I was doing it as a side job for friends and family. I learned BASIC, FORTRAN, and COBOL programming back in the 70's in high school. Bought my first computer in the 80's (a Commodore 64 Plus 4), then a Tandy 1000 EX (a 286 machine if I remember correctly), then a SmartChoice (yeah, that was the name brand on it) 486. The SmartChoice was my first computer with a hard drive (120 MB). During those early years, no one else had a computer and so when I wasn't tinkering with mine, I was flying it.

In college, I had more computer programming classes. FORTRAN (again) and PASCAL. Then as computers began to catch on, friends recommended me to businesses to help them with their computer needs, essentially consulting. I learned all about DOS and batch file programming, then macros, and a little html. Then I got really interested in the hardware aspect of computers and built my first computer from scratch in the late 90's.

Then about six years ago, I went to work for a local Internet Service Provider doing telephone support. The ISP also has a computer shop associated with it. I began hanging around in the shop when I could. The owner soon saw that I had the skills and knowledge to run the shop. But I never stop learning. Which is why I'm here. To learn from others and help when I am available. Thanks for having me.

Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:48 AM

Many of us learned computing, or what it was then, some time ago. It's surprising the number of people who began with the Commodore series (some of us still remember fondly the Vic with its very slow but always sure tape drive). Computing has changed since then, its importance in the world as grown immensely, and now its evolution is at a faster pace than ever before.
Thanks for joining and welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users