Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard stops working and video problems after win7 Install

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Dalvik

Dalvik

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:17 AM

Hello all,

I have a Toshiba A300-18A laptop, bought in Portugal in 2008. It came pre-installed with Vista and I always left it in place because I couldn't find a proper time to backup everything properly. These holidays, I finally had the time to do that and 2 or 3 weeks ago I installed Win7. I didn't do an upgrade and did the custom install over the previous Vista version. Right after installation, during the first uses, my keyboard froze during an internet session. Simply, no key would work, but I had full control of the computer otherwise. Over the next days I found it happened quite frequently, and it didn't even need to be on internet. The most often place to freeze is in text editors (ConText, TexnicCenter), Excel (I'm using Office 2007), an online MMO and even the login screen, before I can actually access my computer. A restart usually solves the problem temporarily, sometimes I need two restarts in a row.

Due to this, I did a reinstall of Win7, this time formatting the C: partition where I was making the installation. So this was a real clean install and I still had the same problems. I thought it would be drivers, so I installed some drivers I downloaded from Toshiba support center and THEN I found out about Toshiba's Win7 installation helper and installed it over the drivers.

Still the same problems. There are more curious things about the keyboard: it usually seems to think ctrl is pressed. I have opened the on-screen keyboard and noticed the ctrl-key depressed. Unpressing this key, thought, does not rehabilitate the keyboard. This ctrl-press must not always be on, thought, because sometimes I notice parallel behaviours and other times I don't. For example, I don't get 'save file' dialogs if I press 'S', but I do see the screen zooming in and out in a web browser if I roll my mouse-wheel. Also, I have some defects in Office (namely Excel) that I think may be related, and this since my first install: sometimes I'm going to Open Excel or Word and it says I have the ctrl key pressed and asks if I want to go through. More commonly I don't get this warning, but inside Excel, the usual shortcuts ctrl-c ctrl-v, ctrl-o (new book, portuguese version) offer me the insert/delete rows dialog. Sometimes ctrl-ins has this behaviour too, other times it works fine while ctrl-c does not. It's all very random.

Finally, to complete the problems described in the subject. I've also noticed a behavious I NEVER had before installing Win7. Most often while playing the MMO (but not exclusively there) my screen goes white with some activity going up and down (sort of a mis-tuned TV from the analogical days) and I can only bring it to place changing windows to get my normal desktop. The MMO runs in dedicated full-screen mode and I guess it must be changing resolution. Also frequently (about 40% of the times), when I boot my computer it shows up the wrong resolution (1024x768) and, in the login screen, the little button on the bottom-right that allows one to shut down and restart shows up only these two options when ordinarily it shows 4 to 6 options. During normal use, I often get the video-going-white problem when I tilt the laptop display up and down.

Please, help me if you can. In 3 years I never had one single of the symptoms with Vista, now I get them everyday. Problem is that I quite enjoyed Win7 (and I don't like Vista) so I'd like to keep this OS if possible.

Thank you.

Dalvik.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dalvik

Dalvik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:45 PM

I don't know if this proper forum netiquette, but I'd like to *bump* this topic. I would very much appreciate some help on this issue.
Thank you.

#3 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:04 PM

Hello I have found that when installing Windows 7 on a computer originally running Windows Vista, you need to update the drivers for the video, sound, and chipset.
Even if your device manager shows no sign of missing drivers. you might see something like Standard VGA Adapter under display adapters, but you want it to name the actual device.
I'm not saying that is the problem, but I know that faulty drivers can freeze up a computer or in this case a keyboard.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:09 PM

Hello I have found that when installing Windows 7 on a computer originally running Windows Vista, you need to update the drivers for the video, sound, and chipset.
Even if your device manager shows no sign of missing drivers. you might see something like Standard VGA Adapter under display adapters, but you want it to name the actual device.
I'm not saying that is the problem, but I know that faulty drivers can freeze up a computer or in this case a keyboard.

When doing a clean install (format and install) there are no drivers to update. The user has to download and install ALL appropriate drivers (starting with the chipset driver). I believe the OP has stated that he did this.

#5 Dalvik

Dalvik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:39 AM

Hello,

thank you for the responses. I did install the drivers indeed, but in fact I installed the Toshiba helper after the individual drivers. I didn't notice any significant improvement in the situation. However, I was for about a week without keyboard problems, until today it froze on me twice in 10 minutes (with a restart in between). It has been holding for a few hours since then. I'm really clueless. I don't think this would be malware because it was just right after installation, but I'm beginning to have my doubts.

If anyone could give me further input, I'd be much obliged.

Thank you.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:41 AM

Does the problem also occur in safe mode?

#7 Dalvik

Dalvik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:58 AM

I haven't tried. I'm going to check, thanks.

#8 Dalvik

Dalvik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:15 AM

I haven't tried. I'm going to check, thanks.

Well, I have made some tests. It's not easy, because I can't reproduce the keyboard problem when I want, so that went unchecked. But the video display problems remain, all of them: in safe mode, the computer only restarts with the bad resolution (which usually is the first I get when I start my computer normally, but it recovers with a restart) and I still get those weird white screens. I'm now convinced this is some hardware default, though.

But even though that is annoying, I sort of can live with that. What is really distressing is the keyboard stopping. It is highly irregular in this too. Sometimes when it stops, it stops several times in a row, like just a few minutes after I restart. Lately, I've been having full days with no problems at all.

I'm currently in Safe Mode, and so far the keyboard hasn't stopped working. But also I've been connected for 10 minutes, at most.

Thanks for any help.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:58 AM

1) Continue in safe mode and see if the keyboard fails. If it does, the keyboard is bad. If it works okay, there may be some sort of software conflict or malware issue. Assuming you are sure it's not a malware problem you can try a selective startup:

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#10 Dalvik

Dalvik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:10 AM

1) Continue in safe mode and see if the keyboard fails. If it does, the keyboard is bad. If it works okay, there may be some sort of software conflict or malware issue. Assuming you are sure it's not a malware problem you can try a selective startup:

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

Ok, I will follow your advice and try to get some useful data from my experiments.

Thank you.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:11 AM

The key really is whether or not it works in safe mode.

#12 Dalvik

Dalvik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:39 AM

The key really is whether or not it works in safe mode.

Ok, I've been testing this for a good while. It was ok for a few weeks, then I installed SQL Server and the keyboard problems returned. I was making selective boots (with only some of the things in the start up on) until today my keyboard froze in Safe Mode. I was not expecting this at all. What does this mean?

Thanks.

#13 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:39 PM

Try moving around in the computers bios to see if the keyboard also freezes there, when you exit don't save any changes. If the computer freezes in the bios just power off the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users