Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I keep getting logged out at random for no reason. no virus or malware detected

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gravey

Gravey

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 02 October 2011 - 02:33 AM

I am on WinXP Pro x64

As the topic title says, I keep getting logged out at random. Sometimes I am at my computer, sometimes not. If I am at my computer and it tries to log me out i quickly log back in as soon as I see the log on screen and then it will log me off again with 10 seconds. Logging on again after this works but often resizes all my windows to their absolute minimums which usually means I can only see the minimize, restore and close buttons. It can also cause my processes list in task manager to be reduced from around 50-60 processes down to around 10-20 and everything seems to slow down to a crawl. Restarting fixes slowness problem until the next log off incident. The time between incidents is completely random but I would say it happens at least twice in a 24hr time period.

The last 2 days I've also had the computer 'freeze' but not in the traditional sense where you can't even move the mouse. It lets me do a minor few things such as switch between tabs in firefox and move floating windows around but if i try to click anything else like a hyperlink or the start menu or (if i have the start menu already open) a program shortcut, absolutely everything freezes except for the mouse. I have tried leaving it for about an hour and nothing had changed. As a happy(sarcasm) alternative to the 'freezing', the monitors and sounds just switch off. A hard reboot is required to fix this problem.

I have scanned with avast in safe mode and MalwareBytes trial (in regular windows mode) and both found no problems. I made sure they were both up to date before the scan.

Yesterday I was going to try a system restore but the oldest restore point available was only a few days ago and the problem started before that. Today I just looked again and the only restore point is from today...

Edited by hamluis, 04 October 2011 - 10:15 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:52 AM

System manufacturer and model...or motherboard manufacturer and model, if self/custom-built?

Louis

#3 Gravey

Gravey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:20 PM

Custom built. Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R

Thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:26 PM

Not sure what "logfoff" means to you...exactly what happens? Does the system power down?

I would run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...as a first step.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 October 2011 - 10:14 AM.

#5 Gravey

Gravey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:55 AM

Not sure what "lofoff" means to you...exactly what happens? Does the system power down?

'Log Off' is what happens when you click Start - Log Off. I am returned to the 'log on screen' where i enter my username and password to 'log on'. The system does not power down.

I would run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...as a first step.

what would 'the appropriate hard drive diagnostic' be exactly ?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:24 AM

Go to Device Manager via Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Double-click Disk Drives.

Write down the numbers/letters now revealed under Disk Drives.

Use Google and type in sme numbers/letters. This will give you the hard drive manuafacturer.

Go to the website of the respective hard drive manufacturer...search for downloads/diagnostic utilities...download the appropriate one and use it in accordance with HD manufacturer's guidance.

FWIW: Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#7 Gravey

Gravey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:42 AM

I have western digital hard drives. I scanned them as you suggested with western digital software and they are fine.

I am writing now from safe mode with networking because I was logged out again only this time I was unable to log back in because the only account available to click was named 'quan'. The password to the 'quan' account was not my password or blank. I have always only had the 1 account 'Administrator' on this computer so I am guessing this is definitely some kind of virus.

What has happened since then:
- I booted to safe mode where I was able to log in using my 'Administrator' account.
- I then deleted the 'quan' account.
- I noticed another account called 'MS-Microsoft-Corp' which I also deleted. Both of these were full admin accounts.
- I changed the password to my 'Administrator' account
- The only accounts left are my 'Administrator' account and 'Guest' which says it is disabled.
- After a reboot into normal windows mode I was able to select my 'Administrator' account and enter my password but it would not load anything more than my wallpaper. No start menu/task bar/icons on desktop. Nothing. I waited a long time.
- Then I pressed and held the power button on my computer to force a power off but to my surprise the windows 'shutting down' screen appeared so obviously it wasn't frozen.
- powered on again and got to the log on screen and again 'Administrator' is unavailable and there's a new account there called 'SUPPORT-388945a0'
- Booted to safe mode again and deleted it

Now I am sitting in safe mode with networking hoping for a solution :(

In the meantime I guess I will run avast and mbam again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users