Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Pc Troubles

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sempervigilans

Sempervigilans

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:00 PM

Hi there, im having trouble with a slow PC, im going to see my techie uncle in a few weeks and right now im runnign through all the utilieites i can think of, defrag, anti spyware ect cause im pretty sure my uncle will ask me if ive done all this before ive seen him.

Anyhow, when i play games or play movies the computer regularily slows down. When im on world of warcraft, i have 0 lag, but the computer struggles to load everything on screen one by one, and freezes when there is a lot to load.

Mind u this is the same computer that could run planetside full detail without a hitch, no lag even in mass battles.

my comp aint the greatest and is pretty old, general specs:
Intel 2.4ghz processor
512mb SDram
37.5GB hard drive
Radeon 9600 pro video card

So i did some research and i found a little utility called clear info, it shows memory load and other system stats.

Well when i add up all the memory use in my task manager, the average is around 120 mb in normal windows operation, which sounds pretty normal to me. But when i look at the commit charge it shows a usage of 350mb. Clearinfo as well has conflicting data, 260/512mb ram used, 352/1251mb used on virtual memory. For an idle computer with no active programs running thats insane.

Before the reading i took above i did a number of things:
cleaned up the registry with regseeker, no problems noticed allthough i lost a few fonts in MSN messenger.
Updated Norton Aintivirus scan found one worm, but the worm remover tool didnt find anything.
Diskeeper reduced fragmentation from 40 to 30 ish %. But was unable to consolidate the free space and wasnt able to do anything about the big files.

So as it is now im stumped, the system is consuming far more memory than it should, and is not using the onboard ram to its full potental before drawing on the virtual memory to pick up the slack.

Any idea how to fix this?

In a possible related matter my onboard soundcard has been very choppy, the driver version of my realtek ac97 audio was listed as 0.0, so im downloading the latest driver for it now as a possible fix.

Ill check back here later once systemworks finishes installing and i defrag this comp.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:12 PM

Those notes about disk defrag seem wrong.

You should be able to attain O%.
It might take a while.

If DiskKeeper fails to do it then use winXP's built in utility overnight after uninstalling the freeware u now use.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Sempervigilans

Sempervigilans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:19 PM

the reason diskeeper didnt ptu it all the way to 0-3% is that the version i had was meant for home use instead of the proffetional version.

The problem is that it cant consolidate all the free space, so my hard drive still looked like a sponge when it was done. There were no spaces big enough to fully defrag big files like the data for world of warcraft, the files can be 800+ mbs

Im using the disk optimiser thats part of norton system works, that consolidates the free space so it whould work alot better. ill check back with the results, cant start the program yet cause i still have to purge the hardrive of dead weight.

(and bah i can spell worth a crap today -_- )

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:34 PM

I wouldn't worry about the high commit charge. Programs tend to reserve some virtual memory even though they are not actively using it.

As for the sudden slowdowns, I would guess it is some process suddenly using much of the CPU. Antivirus/Firewalls are typical culprits. You could try to catch the process. To help you I would recommend you making your way over to sysinternals and grab Process Explorer. When you have it running it makes a nice little graph, like task manager, with the added bonus that if you move the mouse over the graph it will tell you which process had the highest CPU usage at the moment.

As a idea to a possible culprit: Norton didn't get infamous by speeding up peoples computers.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 Sempervigilans

Sempervigilans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:26 PM

THis has been happening long before installed norton systemworks/internet security

In fact it was even worse befor ei started cleaning up.

When im playing WOW and recently the beta for DDO, Its obvious that there is a chokepoint somewhere along the line whnt he computer has to load up complex graphics, but i dont know where to look. My video card has 128mb of onboard ram but still my framerates average at about 4fps.

My guess is that there is something wrong with the base RAM, which prevents the computer using it fully.

The other problem that could eb the cause is that according to diskeeper my pagefile is about 800mbs and is fragmented into 18 pieces, does anyone know a way to fix that?

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:36 AM

One of the foremost rules in troubleshooting is to not use any beta software while (or have it running in memory) while trying to troubleshoot an issue. You may end up spending all your time troubleshooting a bug that hasn't been fixed in the Beta! :thumbsup:

Usually, IMO, this is a resources issue. Since your CPU and RAM seem adequate - how full is your hard drive? I'd recommend keeping at least 15% free space on it to allow Windows to work efficiently.

Also, have you installed/updated the motherboard/chipset drivers? It might be a conflict with the newer hardware and older drivers. The same thing goes for your other hardware drivers (start with the video drivers first).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 CASTIGLIANO

CASTIGLIANO

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 10:12 AM

I think ur PC is using 1 IDE cable for your harddisk and cd-rom. in master and slave. It also happend to me, fix it by putting my cd-rom in secondary IDE device and made my harddisk alone in Primary IDE device.

hope that it will help u!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users