Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another Internet Problem :(

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 derekburger3

derekburger3

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:42 PM

hi,
i briefly looked through old threads to see if this has been posted before but there are alot of pages so i gave up anyway this is going to be a lengthy post because i want to relay the information in as much detail as possible to answer all questions about my situation. heres the problem:
my roomate and i have been using a cable internet connection for about 7 months. no problems. i have a netgear wireless router that i am directly connected through and my roomate is wirelessly connected through. yesterday i shut my computer off (which i rarely do) and when i restarted i started having probs. i tried to connect my AIM. it tried for a minute and said AIM couldnt be reached. next i tried to connect to firefox. tried to connect for a minute then said google(homepage) couldnt be found. so i went to my roomates comp to see if his internet worked, and it did. i found out later that his wireless card was using a neighbors connection. so i connected his wireless back up to our netgear router. said connected with the signal being excellent. tried getting on his AIM and IE but would not connect to either. i went back to my computer network connections checked my LAC and it said connected. however the activity seemed very low. it said we were sending out bytes but recieving them was very low (<200). a couple of times when i opened up firefox or IE it took me to the netgear config wizard. i redid all of that (ip,subnet ip, gateway ip) and then it updated something. internet still didnt work after that. just rechecked the connection activity on mine and it was (sent 1186 bytes, recieved 180 bytes). here are the things i have tried. 1)unplugging all cables for a couple of hours 2)reset netgear router 3)repair internet connection 3) reconfig wireless router 4)enable, disabled LAC many times just hoping it would work once lol 5)skipped the router and connected directly to my comp but it said low connectivity detected...i may have tried a few other minor things but i cant remember. overall it seems like the internet is working, but when it comes to recieving info i am not getting any... or its very very low??? i just dont know where this problem would have suddenly come from after such a long time with no probs. my friend had the same problem a couple weeks ago. i tried fixing it but i couldnt. so after a couple weeks with no internet he took his PC to the ISP and they told him it was a software prob or something. when he got home and reconnected his PC he had a connection lol. ok sorry for being long winded i just like to be thorough when explaining.
thanks in advance
edit:i also tried run<cmd<ping yahoo.com which then said yahoo.com could not be found...i also disabled my firewall and my avg antivirus...neither worked

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:09 PM

Try Start>Run>CMD>ipconfig /release . Next Start>Run>CMD>ipconfig /renew . The cable ISP may have to reset the R cache from there end. They will refer to it as resetting your modem.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users