Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shell loggers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lancruiser

lancruiser

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:35 PM

G'day... I have a 2TB external hard drive where I keep a copy of pretty much everything I have on my computer and recently I was forced to do a format and reinstall of my computer. After I got most of it back together, I went to my XHD to retreive some programs and when I got there I found these two strange files next to "My Computer", I believe they're called shell loggers,(16fad8ceaaa34b47243c4376a). Don't know how they got there and can't delete them.
Anyway, I clicked on "My Computer" but because I hadn't defragged since the reload, the computer was lagging and instead of opening the folder it dragged it over one of these strange files and the file absorbed "My Computer" into it. Right clicking on the file tells you the "file is empty" but when I scanned the file with Norton AV 2012 it read off all the files I had in "My Computer". When I try to undo the drag and drop I'm told "file is not accessable" and I've tried using Unlocker with no success. Right click -> Properties on drive H (XHD)and it says there's 16.5 GB of stuff in there which is about what I had stored. Can anyone tell me how I can retreive the folder pleeeeez.
If I can't get the folder back I've lost all my photos of my son's engagement party amongst other photos, user names and passwords, recipes, programs and files I'll never replace and every e-mail address I ever used.
Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lancruiser

lancruiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:54 PM

Don't worry guys, I found a free file recovery utility via the Microsoft forums...http://www.pandorarecovery.com/download/... Not bad, got all my photos back but everything else was corrupted. DOH!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users