Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Considering reformat, new to this

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 daniisaur

daniisaur

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:57 PM

Hi, I've been having problems with my vista with trojan viruses, and I've spent too much time trying to fix it, and since I took this hard drive from a completely different computer, all the drivers and stuff are messed up, so I figure, why not just reformat, I'm not losing much and I'd just rather use my time to start clean than try to fix this by myself.

Well, since I'm new to this, I'm scared if I reformat, I won't be able to reinstall windows, because I don't have a disk for ANY windows, but I know you can get one somehow and save it to a flash drive.

I've read a bunch of places how to reformat and reinstall, but I kinda need detailed instructions worded to my understanding, because it didn't make sense to me anywhere else.

I know theres other posts on this, but I need to be able to talk through it.

Please help, I'm super sick of these viruses and driver issues. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:01 PM

First thing first, you will need to buy a copy of Windows Vista or Windows 7.

#3 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:47 AM

If your computer has a Recovery Disk or Recovery Partition, you can reformat using that.

If you know for sure that it doesn't, as cryptodan said, you'll need to purchase Windows Vista or Windows 7.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:38 AM

<<...and since I took this hard drive from a completely different computer,>>

Are you saying that you took the boot drive from another system...and tried to use it the system you have?

If so, problems should be the norm, not abnormal. You would not be able to use any restore/recovery mechanism without the recovery/restore disks, in such case.

System manufacturer and model?

Where is the old hard drive?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users