Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

0xc0000005 Error On Startup - Explorer.exe

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 oafcmetty

oafcmetty

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:29 PM

Hello everyone.

When my brother starts his computer, before he gets to windows he gets an error message reading "Explorer.EXE - Application Error: The application failed to initialize properly(0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application".

Once he clicks on ok, the background loads up, but no taskbars or icons are present, and he is only able to run programs through the task manager.

The same happens when he runs in start mode.

Obviously he can't access the internet, hence my post! Any help gratefully received. He's running XP Home ed, SP2, and has regular AdAware scans running. Also Norton AV installed, with fairly regular scans.

Any thoughts, or suggestions welcome!

Cheers,
oafcmetty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:33 PM

That may be a problem relating to the installation of Service Pack 2

Here is a posting from Microsoft about problems with Windows Explorer crashing.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883791

See if this helps.

If this does not help, then there may be virus or spyware problems. Does he have up to date anti-virus and anti-spyware on his computer?

#3 oafcmetty

oafcmetty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:36 PM

He's had SP2 installed for ages though, and this is the 1st time he's seen the problem.

AdAware and AV were updated at the weekend, and MS Updates are frequently run.

#4 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:17 PM

Hmm, I might still recommend running a hijack this log and posting it to see if there might be anything amiss.

Go here for instructions on creating and posting a hijack this log.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

#5 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:50 PM

Hi oafcmetty

The (0xc0000005) error is caused by a missing or infected wininet.dll. It is probably caused by an infection, or it may have been deleted somewhere across the line.

:thumbsup: Click here to download smitRem.zip.
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • Unzip smitRem.zip to extract the files it contains.
  • Do not do anything with it yet. You will run the RunThis.bat file in a sec
:flowers:
  • Open the smitRem folder, then double click the RunThis.bat file to start the tool.
  • Follow the prompts on screen.
  • Wait for the tool to complete and disk cleanup to finish.

Now, reboot your computer. This should have disinfected/replaced the wininet.dll file. Let me know if the error has gone or not.

Thanks
David

Edited by D-Trojanator, 24 January 2006 - 03:52 PM.

#6 oafcmetty

oafcmetty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:27 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

My brother doesn't have HijackThis installed. Will he be able to install it given the current state of his pc?

Also, not sure how he'll be able to run the smitRem.zip file. I'll check with him to see if he can open zips from the task manager prompt.

oafcmetty

#7 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:47 AM

Sorry oafcmetty

Didn't think about that --> You could try to download the program from your computer onto a CD/Floppy and then put it into your brother's PC. You should then be able to use the taskmanager to open the file.

If you can't get that to work, try actually hitting cntrl + alt + delete together and see if the icons come back. You could also try hitting the windows key or cntrl + esc together to get the start menu.

Alternatively open your taskmanager and click file > new task.

Type in C:\Windows\System32 and search for this file:

wininet.dll

Rename that file to wininet.old, and reboot the computer. That will hopefully mean that Windows will drag another one up from the dllcache to replace it.

If you are unable to find the wininet.dll, go here:

www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?wininet

and download the file (you will have to do this from your computer then transfer it across), and place it here:

C:\Windows\System32

Reboot and see if the error still exists :thumbsup:

David

Edited by D-Trojanator, 25 January 2006 - 05:48 AM.

#8 oafcmetty

oafcmetty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:51 AM

Hi David,

Thanks for the info. I'd thought about the cd/floppy - I'll get him to download the app at work, and burn it onto a cd, then try that method when he gets home.

We tried a number of things last night to get the icons back: Ctrl+alt+del, attempting to run explorer.exe from the task manager cmd line, etc with no joy. Will get him to try the start menu approach too, hadn't thought of that.

Will report back with more info this evening...!

Cheers,
oafcmetty

#9 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:53 AM

Ok, well if you can get wininet.dll active again, everything should be ok!
David

p.s. Good Luck :thumbsup:

#10 oafcmetty

oafcmetty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:21 PM

Ok, he managed to get the smitRem tool to run, through burning it onto a cd at work, then running it through task manager. Only thing is, when it was running, he saw quite a few 'Access denied' messages flash by. Is this normal?

After restart, he was still getting the error...

We renamed wininet.dll, and now we get a different error, saying that the dll wasn't found, and that reinstalling might help.

I guess he now has to get the dll from the website you mentioned and put in in the Sys32 folder?

#11 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:24 PM

Is this normal?

I've never seen it but it's quite possible.

I guess he now has to get the dll from the website you mentioned and put in in the Sys32 folder?

Yes, try this step now. It sounds pretty dodgy; the fact that the dllcache didn't bring up a new wininet.dll suggests it's corrupt/broken :thumbsup:

David

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:40 PM

Only thing is, when it was running, he saw quite a few 'Access denied' messages flash by. Is this normal?

There is a HKey that has been changed. I had this problem also. The value for REG_SZ was changed from 0000000 to 0000001. The 1 is the value that denies access to that feature. My daughter had maaanny malware and one I suspected made the change. Once the reg value is changed back you will have acces again. I will try to chase down the HKey and let you know.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#13 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:16 AM

Hello, Obviously Explorer is broken and I think the best way to fix it is to do a repair. But there may be a slight problem with this since the person has Service Pack 2 on his sysytem. He will have to have a system disk made for the repair that has Service pack 2 slipstreamed into it and his system tracks for whatever system he has.

For instructions on doing a repair on your system go to the following site, and read the whole procedure several times so to make sure you know what you are doing, please

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If you need to make a system disk with SP-2 slipstreamed into it go to the following site:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1747010,00.asp

Also please read this before starting it works like a charm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users